cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

TP Link Router with NowTv?

Hi,

The router that comes with NowTv as standard is not very good.

Can I use my own router and if so how easy is it to set up? What password, pin etc do I need to put in?

Thanks

Chris
101 REPLIES 101
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Gave up and moved to Plusnet as they were useless with technical support
Sorry can’t help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there just read what you have done with TP link I'm just waiting on amazon delivering new tp router if possible can you send me link on how to set it up I got this has the now tv router WiFi is crap.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a TP-Link Archer VR600 aka AC1600 which I used with a previous ISP and has features I find useful, like being able to assign different DNS servers (I use PiHole to filter advertisements and tracking sites on my home network, or might want to use 1.1.1.1 for Families to filter adult content and malware). I'm surprised how locked down the NowTV Hub is compared to most ISPs. I guess they want to keep things as simple as possible for support purposes.

Setting it up was very straightforward. Other TP-Link models, particularly older ones, may have different interfaces.

1. Go to Quick Setup
  2. Select region (Europe) and timezone (London) then click next
  3. From ISP List select Sky(MER)_VDSL (if you don't see this then you might want to update the firmware then click Next
  4. For username enter abcdefgh@skydsl
  5. For password enter 1234567890abcdef
  6. Click Next
  7. Configure WiFi as per your requirements then click Next
  8. The connection test run and should show you are connected - Hooray!
  9. Click Finish
  10. Make any additional settings required

This was a lot simpler than many of the posts and web pages I had seen.  You don't need Wireshark or cloning the MAC address of the NowTV Hub.

I'm happy to report that IPv6 works with this router as well!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anyone else had recent success with this. Was using my archer with Vodafone no issues but will not connect to now using any settings so far tried. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you have SKY MER in the setup as @Anonymous User stated. If not have you updated the firmware to the latest?

Re: TP Link Router with NowTv? - Page 10 - NOW Community

chilli2
Elite

Yes, i  have recently switched from plusnet to Now and my TP link router works fine .

There are a few things you need to know however, not all TP link routers will be compatable.

If you have another router supplied by another ISP ( such as vodafone) odds on it wont work however you may be able to use it as an access point and/or to provide a few more ehternet ports - you will have to find out how to do this your self .

I posted this about using other routers, i can only speak for my own experience i have a TP link VR2800

f you use your own router, this must support MER log ins , on TP link VR series routers this should be listed as Sky(MER)_VDSL   from what i understand you may need to ensure that it is on the latest firmware

If you have any issues with your line, signal, wifi etc Now will NOT offer support for your own device ( and few other isps will offer support for non supplied equipment) Keep the now router to hand should you encounter any issues

If you struggle with setting up routers - stuff like assigning IP addresses to devices , and so on, and you sometimes need help with setting up wifi then use the now TV router do not buy your own router unless you know ho to set it up, and if its compatible.

For support go to the tp link forums and look for the subject "Modem routers that are set up to work with Sky and Now broadband"

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, could you let me know how you did this please.I want to use my Vodafone router, it was much better

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ditched them after no support
Anonymous User
Not applicable

OMG please so help me!!  Worst investment ever.  I am exec level IT person and cant get either my wireless dongle for my NAS or ty wifi extender to work with my NOWTV wifi box.  It is possibly the cheapest broadband service but you seem to get what you pay for.  I have spent hours on different settings and forums.  I wish I had stayed with Virgin.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why doesn't nowtv just let us have the settings.