cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

TP Link Router with NowTv?

Hi,

The router that comes with NowTv as standard is not very good.

Can I use my own router and if so how easy is it to set up? What password, pin etc do I need to put in?

Thanks

Chris
101 REPLIES 101
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello All,

I've wrote a blog about this to show how I've resolved my problem! 

Link here 🙂 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tp-Link VR series support Sky MER option. I bought the early model tp-link VR600

Please refer to post #2 by Kevin_z: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/171728

It's tp-link own staff saying that the VR series supports Sky's MER connection type.

I bought my vr600 v1 on ebay for £40 (used). Originally wanted the vr900 v2 but someone sniped it off me.

very happy with this box. A lot of posters above are overcomplciating things, with the tplink vr series you just select sky(MER)_vdsl from the list and enter the dummy login and password. VDSL = fibre, not adsl broadband

Note: there was no sky(MER)_adsl on the list. So this box is not suitable for broadband if sky use MER for broadband as well.

I have just 1 box now, and don't need a 2nd box as an access point to work around the dismal wifi of the nowtv box.

regarding login, I can confirm you DO NOT need to do wireshark sniffing and other malarky, you can just use any login and password the username needs to end with @skydsl

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I couldn't get my Archer600 to connect to the network so have ended up using it as the wifi and connecting via the nowtv router for a modem.  It means both boxes are working which is frustrating but I couldn't do it another way..

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that. I just gave up, returned the router and have only got to wait another few weeks before I can get out of my NOW TV contract and move to a decent provider! Glad you've found a solution.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous UserI don't like the weird MER thing that literally no other ISP in the world uses, I would like the option to pay for a dedicated IP like some other ISPs.

Having said that, you can't argue with nowtvs price. Especially with the cashback deal - they can't be beat. WHich is why I perservere with them and got it set up.

I just moved house so I have finished my 12 month with nowtv. I got my wife to sign up as a new customer and get cashback under her name in our new property and decided to finally pull the trigger and get a tplink vdsl routermodem.

It's actually fairly easy to do this, you need to search for sky mer router and you'll come across loads of forum discussion. Nowtv is a new ISP and there's not much info on this, but sky has been around for a long time and both use the same system and they're different brand names of the same business.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not sure how to pm you but I'd like help please

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What's your hardware?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris, I know its has been a year since you put on this post, but I am in the process of changing out the NOWTV router for a TP Link router, You stated that you managed to connect you router, are you willing to let me know how you did this?

Regards

Ian

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hiya

i have a Linksys router.  Now TV said the same to me. It’s all my problem because their router is not good enough.

please can you advise me on how you set yours up.

thank you

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi, I am still in the process of getting my router setup correctly. I had a
go at the weekend past, but ended up using the NowTV router as a base and
linking the routers together. I’m going to have another go this weekend,
hopefully.