cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Synology Setup

I've just moved to NowTV and am looking for some help hooking up my Synology diskstation: it connects and is visible on my network, but the external access won't play.

does anyone have experience of setting up one of these devices, so it can be accessed remotely?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

That's the ticket - I could get access to video station and file station, but not photo station!

For anyone else, I googled "skyuser Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom services)" and the first hit gave me the answer - i.e. how to set up bespoke services and port forwarding those to an internal (static) IP address.

There's a limitation in all of this: you can't port forward to a different internal port (i.e. PhotoStation wants to come in on 58086 and the router will only forward to 58086, but the Synology wants it on port 80 - so that won't work). However, FileStation can be set to give access to your photo folders - so you can work around that. I'm not sure it would get around the lack of access to the webmail, but I don't use it so haven't dug into it any further.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Sign into your account on here and go to the My Account > Settings & PINs section and under " Broadband Buddy" try changing the settings which i believe are set at 13 age rating has standard.

Either switch off the broadband buddy feature or change to a different level of age rating to see if that makes a difference.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm afraid that didn't fix the issue, but it did make me more aware of what Broadband Buddy can do.

I think the issue is more around "setting up port forwarding or UPnP rules".

Thanks for your help
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi G

About two years ago the Now TV boxes did have the capability to see your NAS but they have zapped that "unsupported" feature, I know because I used that facility to play my digital albums from my NAS server until it was deleted.

Consequently, I had to purchase another Internet media box with it full range of facilities and features, i.e. The Roku 3 streaming box.

Therefore, I would suggest that you purchase an inexpensive but full featured android box that will give you the missing features and facilities you want and make that part of your home network.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I totally misread your first post sorry and didn't realise that you was attempting to connect to your NAS drive on your network and for some reason i thought you was trying to connect to a website on the internet which the broadband buddy was blocking Smiley Embarassed

Haven't got any experience with connecting a NAS media drive on a home network so i won't be much help here.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I have just typed in my Google search engine "Sky Q Hub and Synology NAS" and a few results with suggestions on other forums came up.

The Sky Q Hub is a clone of the NowTV Hub 2 router so the settings should be the same.

Haven't posted any links here, because i am not sure the community rules when linking to other forums on the web.

If nobody comes up with the answer, maybe try Googling the question.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Forgot to add to access the NowTV Hub router setting use 192.168.0.1 in your web browser and once the Hub settings page appears on screen to access the advanced settings the username is admin and password is nowtv.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi again G

One more suggestion, have you checked out the Synology app store yet?

Because you will find the necessary software that will make your NAS into a media server and point you in the direction of whatever else you will need to play your media on your preferred network device is, e.g, TV, Hi-Fi, AV system, etc.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

I've got the apps, but the issue is punching through the router firewall from outside - so I can watch my movies when on my travels. I got it going on my previous providers hub, so I know what's changed and therefore what needs looking at.

I'll look into your other suggestion, along with the other feedback.

Thanks.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

That's the ticket - I could get access to video station and file station, but not photo station!

For anyone else, I googled "skyuser Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom services)" and the first hit gave me the answer - i.e. how to set up bespoke services and port forwarding those to an internal (static) IP address.

There's a limitation in all of this: you can't port forward to a different internal port (i.e. PhotoStation wants to come in on 58086 and the router will only forward to 58086, but the Synology wants it on port 80 - so that won't work). However, FileStation can be set to give access to your photo folders - so you can work around that. I'm not sure it would get around the lack of access to the webmail, but I don't use it so haven't dug into it any further.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.