cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Switching to Now from Plusnet

I am currently with Plusnet but have signed up with Now but at no time in the signing-up process has the Now system asked about my existing (Plusnet) account.

Their website says this "Easy switching If you're with BT, TalkTalk, EE or Plusnet, our dedicated team will deal with your current provider so you don't have to."

And elsewhere they offer reassurance about switching saying they will do everything but if they don't know about my Plusnet account (because they haven't asked) how will they know to talk to Plusnet so that my contract is cancelled with Plusnet but without losing service/connection to the internet/phone line?

I am hovering over the Cancel button.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am hoping to transfer to Now when my contract with Vodafone expires. But when I switched to Vodafone (from Sky) my current provider wasn't asked for and it all went well.

It's all down to the Ofcom switching service.

Hopefully it will get even better in the future Simpler broadband switching in as little as a day - Ofcom

Worry not.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

From memory when i switched from BT to NOW Broadband and signed up online all i had to do was enter my postcode and confirm the house number, plus inserted my landline telephone number and confirmed i wanted to keep my existing number and basically that was it (apart from my bank card details).

I don't remember given NOW my current ISP account details (if using the BT Openreach telephone network) when i switched using the NOW website online.

i would assume from the national Broadband data base NOW should be able to see your current Broadband provider if they use the BT telephone infrastructure such has Plusnet for them to contact Plusnet on your behalf.

Have you checked under your NOW online account under My Broadband & Calls > Order and Appointments that the order is being processed or have you received an email from NOW confirming the order (make sure on the email that your existing landline telephone number is being transferred if you want it ported and didn't ask for a new landline telephone number) if you have decided to go ahead.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you want reassurances from NOW that they don't need your current Plusnet account details for the automatic switch to take place, then drop NOW an email using the email address from this screen shot below.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am hoping to transfer to Now when my contract with Vodafone expires. But when I switched to Vodafone (from Sky) my current provider wasn't asked for and it all went well.

It's all down to the Ofcom switching service.

Hopefully it will get even better in the future Simpler broadband switching in as little as a day - Ofcom

Worry not.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you to those who replied.

Basically it all went OK and I was live on the day Now said but the process is very vague and disconcerting with no feedback, not even a success email or text when the line was up and live.

Now could save a lot of heartache if they just provided a little more feedback and progress reporting.

My next problem is to get the (old) BT Smarthub working with Now because it has 4 Ethernet ports - which I need - while the Now hub has only two.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You might save yourself a lot of further heartache trying to get the BT Router working on Now by simply buying an Ethernet switch, as here, and get more ports that way:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/network-switches/321_4426_32071_xx_xx/1_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html

Three there under £20, and no doubt many more on Amazon.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.