cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Switching to Now Broadband from Plusnet

Hi All,

My broadband / phone contract with Plusnet expires on 6th Feb, and I'm looking to switch to Now Broadband to save a few ££.

At what point should I sign up to Now to ensure a smooth transition? How long does the switch take?

If anyone can advise it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
greyeyes
Scholar

I did this with my mother, plusnet to nowtv broandband, as they bill a month in advance, once you make your final payment of your contract, you can then leave within those 4 weeks... as you've paid up your contract. She left 10 days before it expired, she was fully paid up (for the 20 days out of the final 30 days of service)

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
redchiz1
Champion 2

@chilli2 Assuming you are at or near the end date of your current contract then simply initiate a switch order via the NOW website, making sure that you confirm the option to keep your existing landline phone number. That way NOW will contact your current provider directly and it may provoke them into begging you to stay. If not, then go ahead. And the switch should be seamless. Personally, for FTTC broadband and inclusive calls I cannot find any other provider which comes close in price. 

greyeyes
Scholar
often too late by then, beg all they want, they've had their chance & you've paid for the router delivery (worth having, even if you have your own as they won't support 3rd party routers and helps problem identification and resolution, otherwise the router gets the blame and handy as a backup too).even if they did match it, i'd still get a price increase next month billing cycle.... they've admitted they can't offset or do anything about it.i'm saving £5/month just switching and not locked in for 2 years, that's before the free anytime calls for 12 month option.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I left Sky to go to Vodafone, phoned Sky first before I left, but they couldn't offer me anything. As soon as I kicked off the switch the emails and letters started coming in offering me everything they said they couldn't before I left. Too late!

greyeyes
Scholar
When i left virgin, you have to call to cancel the broadband and it's
their on own network, they make a small offer, you say cancel, then
within 7 days their loyalty team calls and offers you the same package
cheaper than new customer prices.  It took 4 years to escape, the final
time they wouldn't offer me a good deal.  You don't call to cancel when
in-situ (openreach), so you don't have the actual leaving conversation
with your exiting provider.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was with Sky, paying full price, for years. I don't have the option of Virgin or FTTP, so from now on, as soon as the contract is coming to an end I will find the best deal available and if the current ISP will not match it, I'm off. I don't like doing it as I believe they should reward loyalty.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just a quick update on my situation following my original post.

In the end I ended up sticking with Plusnet as they agreed to match Now's price - I signed up to a 24 mth contract for £22 per month for which I receive Unlimited Fibre Extra broadband + inclusive Anytime calls.

I'd made the decision to cancel my previous Plusnet contract, which was increasing to over £30 a month, and switch to Now to save some money.

When speaking to the Plusnet rep I said that I would only consider staying with them if they offered me free inclusive calls, which they agreed to do. They also upgraded my broadband to their fastest product which was a nice bonus.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
Christian

greyeyes
Scholar

@Muzza141 When you get billed in March, as an existing customer even renewing a contract they'll add 9.3% (3.9%+CPI) = £2.05 to your bill from that point as it applies to all customers, did you ask them that question? I did and they even said it would be applied as it applies to all.   Your march bill will be £24.05/mon. You'll still save yourself £48/yr in the first year by taking the same like for like NowTV deal at £20/mon, 2nd year, the price increase will compound as you are in contract.

greyeyes
Scholar

Just had an email offer of £23.99 for 18 months from plusnet:

Price changes apply (including the price for broadband, line rental, call plans, call charges and any BT Sport services being increased by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate of inflation published in January 2022 plus 3.9% on the 31st March 2022 if you take this offer before 31st March 2022).

There in writing, any deal you agree today, when billed before 31st March will be subject to a price increase.

I'm off... cheaper to leave and go back as a new customer in 12 months, rather than stuck in a 2 year contract with 2 March price rises (2022 & 2023).

chilli2
Elite

Still getting a nope, wont match not budging.

A few questions: Although I'm mostly migrated away from ISP email I assume that my plusnet address(s) will go dead at switch over - as will the webspace ( plusnet legacy product)

My current router is a TP link Archer vr2800 compatible with Sky MER log ins, i assume this will work with the now service, i intend to keep the now box as a back up ( ie if theres a fault to plug it in and then contact support if required)  as i do with the noisy plusnet router.

If the Now Router needs to be used, then can it be used as a modem?

redchiz1
Champion 2

1.  You will need to check with Plusnet. I left behind ISP based email services many years ago, along with the issues that entails.

2.  If it works with Sky then it may work with NOW, you can but try.

3. No, there is no WAN output available to connect a separate router.