cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Switching to Now Broadband from Plusnet

Hi All,

My broadband / phone contract with Plusnet expires on 6th Feb, and I'm looking to switch to Now Broadband to save a few ££.

At what point should I sign up to Now to ensure a smooth transition? How long does the switch take?

If anyone can advise it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
greyeyes
Scholar

I did this with my mother, plusnet to nowtv broandband, as they bill a month in advance, once you make your final payment of your contract, you can then leave within those 4 weeks... as you've paid up your contract. She left 10 days before it expired, she was fully paid up (for the 20 days out of the final 30 days of service)

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

if it's a straight forward switchover it will normally take 14 days from placing an order.

From my understanding you can't specify an exact preferred date of your choice and are governed on the date offered by BT Openreach / NOW.

You could send NOW an email if you wish for an official answer to your question.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would think you could start the transfer anytime during the last month of the contract.

However I suggest you contact PlusNet and tell them you are thinking of leaving (do not actually cancel) and they may well offer to match the price.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User Bear in mind that if you leave before your contract has expired then Plusnet will charge you an early termination fee.

I suggest you wait until 14 days before your Plusnet deal expires and order then. Make sure that you opt to keep your existing phone number. That way NOW will contact Plusnet directly and the switch will be as smooth as can be, subject of course to the vagaries of Openreach. 

greyeyes
Scholar

I did this with my mother, plusnet to nowtv broandband, as they bill a month in advance, once you make your final payment of your contract, you can then leave within those 4 weeks... as you've paid up your contract. She left 10 days before it expired, she was fully paid up (for the 20 days out of the final 30 days of service)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks for answering my query.

Have you been happy with Now broadband since switching?

Thanks

Christian

greyeyes
Scholar

my mother got the same speeds, no complaints from her in the several months since.

did you switch as we discussed?

chilli2
Elite

I'm in the early stages of switching - ie trying to get a deal from Plusnet, but so far without much luck , this is how things are going so far ...

I've Been with plusnet since 2004, and up until now have managed to get a decent, and competitive deal upon renewal

So I phoned Plusnet up to see if they would offer anything, mentioned I was about to sign upto Now (tv) broadband

My plusnet offer via the renewal page is £24.99/month for the 80/20 fttc/vdsl product for 18 months plus anytime calls at £8.37 a month which works out at £33.36a month, or over the first 12 months £400.32

Now Broadband are offering the 80/20 with inclusive calls for £20/month ( plus £5 router delivery) which costs £240 over 12 months , which is a saving of just over £160 .

The call to plus net retention's was short , pretty much closing the call off as soon as possible - mentioned i was about to sign with now TV , and just said they ( now) will send a new router and it will just be a case of unplugging the old plusnet one and plugging in the Now Tv one, and it will take 14 days ( notice period) at which point the retention agent ended the call - didnt even ask for customer details such as username etc.

Made another call a few days later to plusnet and actually managed to get a bit of a conversation but no budging on the price, as the call rep stated plusnet will not price match, instead loads of waffle about UK based call centres and if i need to call technical support then i will be stuck with a non UK call centre if a call centre exists, and as an extension Now TV support isnt upto much

I've been using my own router for some time, my current model is an Archer Vr2800 which i understand is compatible with sky MER log ins

Mentioned that i havent called Tech support much as most issues have been self fixable , and then got more waffle about uk based call centres, and a flat out refusal to budge on pricing

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I shall be in a similar position come May, when my 2 year contract with Vodafone expires. I'm thinking of changing to Now (which is why I'm spending time on this forum) because I like to have inclusive calls, and Vodafone charge £8.00 a month. I'm hoping Vodafone will do a deal to price match, just to save the hassle of swapping over.

greyeyes
Scholar
same here a few days ago, i got an offer of £23.00/mon for 24 months for my 73/19, but it will be going up by 3.9% + CPI (9.3%) in March, my contract is up this month (feb), so i'd get 1 month at £23, then price increase next month for 12 month, then for the remaining 11 months i'd see the next increase on top compounded.it's better and cheaper to leave at £20/mon, then go back as a new customer next year (they often offer new customers between £50 to £75 rewards card, check via uSwitch for these deals).  reading that nowtv will email you up to 40 days before your contract ends and offer a deal, worth exploring that.no word on price increase with sky / nowtv (sky), they don't do annual increase, but have written in that they can increase at anytime, you have the right to give 30 days in writing to leave without penalty unlike the others that have it written in that it's an annual increase to all, can't leave.
i switched my mum from plusnet to Now broadband due to price and calls like you.  like for like speed, no issues in the 6 months she's been with them.she watches a lot of on-demand / streaming.the now router is the sky q hub re-badged, only 2 rj45 ports, 5 port tplink switch is around £10/12, under £20 for 8 ports.  no issues connecting my laptop via WiFi when at hers and good range.   if you use your own, you probably won't notice any difference.the ip address shows as sky broadband.