cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Switching to Now Broadband from Plusnet

Hi All,

My broadband / phone contract with Plusnet expires on 6th Feb, and I'm looking to switch to Now Broadband to save a few ££.

At what point should I sign up to Now to ensure a smooth transition? How long does the switch take?

If anyone can advise it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
greyeyes
Scholar

I did this with my mother, plusnet to nowtv broandband, as they bill a month in advance, once you make your final payment of your contract, you can then leave within those 4 weeks... as you've paid up your contract. She left 10 days before it expired, she was fully paid up (for the 20 days out of the final 30 days of service)

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous User
Not applicable

They always seem to send this email, I think it's their default one for confirming the service.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks for answering my query.

Thanks

Christian

greyeyes
Scholar

I see Sky (TV & broadband) have now announced a price increase in April (in the press today), i wonder if Now will as they're a sky owned company.

chilli2
Elite

Time for a question... ( as its beena  while since i last moved ISPs) ..

I have a go live date of the 1st of March, i assume this is when i am supposed to plug the router / hub in and unplug my current router.

From what i understand the plusnet service will go dead overnight between the 28th of Feb and the 1st of March where there will be in theory be a short gap until  the Now service begins.

What would happen if late evening on the 28th, i was to unplug the current device and plug in the now TV router?

I know that it wont authenticate/connect, however will it authenticate/connect when the new now service begins, or will this need to be initiated manually ?

greyeyes
Scholar

My mum went through the same process from plusnet to now broadband.

She woke to find plusnet router light no longer blue (off-line).. she unplugged it, waited until around midday and plugged in the Now router and it eventually came on-line.

You'll go though up to 10 days of dynamic line management tests.... it can become a little unstable for the first 72 hours as she noticed, after that it settled down and has been stable since.

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

Whichever it is, you will have a houseful of WiFi devices that won’t recognise the Now router when it connects.

So it makes sense to get them all ready before it does.

Or do as I do, change the settings on the new router to have the same SSID(s) and password as the Plusnet one did, one change instead of many,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
greyeyes
Scholar

I created my own SSID using my dogs name plus adding wifi on the end....  then set up a new password that's rememberable.

I did as you said, just login to the new router, update the SSID and password to my own assigned one and reboot, nothing to change (if you are using local static lP addresses on some devices, it changes from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x, so those devices won't come on-line, need to change these beforehand, or just change the IP range within the router's DHCP settings to 192.168.1.x).

chilli2
Elite

Ive done a few more router changes than ISP changes - changing the SSID and password on the router as oppsoed to umpteen devices ( its surprising how many you seem to collect)

At the moment my home network consists of the Router, connected via ethernet to a homeplug and a Roku streambar and the second remote homeplug also has wifi - with a PC and a TV via ethernet .

The second Homeplug is, at the moment ( temporarily ) providing the main wifi source with the SSID and password of the router ( the current routers wifi is off)

The intention is to plug the new Now TV router in in the evening to the phone line and ethernet and hopefully when the Now TV service comes online it will connect and the wifi will continue to work from the homeplug as it does now.

The reason for this is that i wont be around much on the 1st of March and i would like to ensure that other people in the house  will still have access

Then when i have time the Now TV router will be changed to the same SSID/passwords , with the eventual aim to set my current router (TP link Archer VR2800) up with the now TV service , keeping the now TV router on hand to plug back in ( just as i have done with the plusnet router)  should there be a fault.

fingers crossed that wont upset the dynamic line management too much

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@chilli2 wrote:

Time for a question... ( as its beena  while since i last moved ISPs) ..

I have a go live date of the 1st of March, i assume this is when i am supposed to plug the router / hub in and unplug my current router.

From what i understand the plusnet service will go dead overnight between the 28th of Feb and the 1st of March where there will be in theory be a short gap until  the Now service begins.

What would happen if late evening on the 28th, i was to unplug the current device and plug in the now TV router?

I know that it wont authenticate/connect, however will it authenticate/connect when the new now service begins, or will this need to be initiated manually ?

It's unlikely to go dead overnight. It will go dead when the Openreach engineer disconnects you from PlusNet. There will be a dead period before he connects you to Now and then you should be good to go.

When I moved ISP the Openreach engineer called me and asked that I put the new router on so that he could confirm that it worked correctly with the new ISP.

So yes if you put it on early, it will connect as soon as the correct ISP is available.

chilli2
Elite

The router should have been delivered today, I'm stuck at work and not home till just after 6, and instead of posting it to through the letterbox like previous routers I've had a message saying no one was in so royal mail have taken it to a depot somewhere