cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles

Hi

can anyone please tell me how to get subtitles working for a programme that shows the “S” and has the speech box on its info screen?

The captions are turned on in settings but not sure what the “closed caption test” means?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What playback device are you using and what TV show are you attempting to watch with subtitles ?

If you can quote the TV show together with Season and Episode number, i will double check my end on my NowTV box (just in case NowTV haven't added subtitles even if the subtitles icon symbol is showing next to the TV show episode).

On my NowTV box, when the TV show starts playing press the OK enter button, then when the picture information bar pops up on your screen, then navigate across to the far right bubble speech icon, then click on it, then highlight English subtitles, click on it, where a small orange horizontal bar should appear directly below the subtitles option to trigger subtitles.

Also have a read of this linked help article.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-with-subtitles 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I’m trying to watch The Sopranos season 1 on a Toshiba television.
I’ve tried everything I can think of.
When I click on the bubble speech icon I don’t get a dialogue box... just a notice at the top of the screen saying subtitles off or on. But not working when turned on.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What's the playback device you have hooked up to the Toshiba television ?

I just checked Season 1 Episode 1 of The Sopranos and subtitles worked for me on my NowTV box when following the instructions on my first post.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi again
It’s just a standard NOW TV box
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you clicked on the bubble speech icon and it showed Subtitles Off or English on your television screen, did you press the right direction arrow on your remote to highlight English, then pressed OK on the remote where an orange bar should show below it ?

This then triggered subtitles for me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
There is no option for changing to or from English. When I press the speech bubble I just get a caption at the top of the screen saying either subtitles on or subtitles off.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What i would be inclined to try is a forced software update on your NowTV Box.

With your NowTV remote, press the Home Button five times, then quickly press the Fast Forward button three times, then quickly press the Rewind button on the remote two times.

This should hopefully open a secret screen menu (if it doesn't try the above sequence again).

Once in the secret menu select the software update option (update the software even if it says you are on the same software version number).

Then once the box has been updated see if subtitles then works on The Sopranos Season 1 Episode 1.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I just dusted off one of my older NowTV boxes and this box acted a little differently with subtitles on The Sopranos S1 Ep 1.

For me to get the subtitles to work when The Sopranos was playing i pressed the star button on the remote to bring up the on screen information bar, then i moved across to the bubble speech icon and clicked on it which brought up Subtitles Off or English where i had to press the right button to highlight English then press OK on the remote (for some reason the orange bar was not showing below English).

But after clicking OK on English and then pressing the back button on the remote subtitles was then playing on The Sopranos.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi
Thank you for your help. I shall have to try again tomorrow now. I still don’t get any option to select English. Are you just clicking ok on the speech bubble?