cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allanc
Scholar 3

Stream quality/bitrate difference

Is there difference between bitrate/stream quality in respect to watching some thing as broadcast on epg and watching it on catch up/boxset ?  Just interested

11 REPLIES 11
ukbobboy
Legend

@allanc 

Well A

I can't answer your question but when I'm watching Now TV a streaming quality number will pop up briefly in the top right hand corner of my TV, too brief to note and no indication what it actually means.

Yeah, like you, I'm stumped.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy @allanc 

Can't remember the exact figures off the top of my head because i don't own a Smart TV with the inbuilt NowTV App.

But from a rough guide 7381 is 1080p (HD Boost Pass only) which should be on both Boxsets and live TV (subject to the content has been 1080p HD encoded).

Figure 4800 (can't remember the exact number) is 720p with a non Boost Pass again both Boxsets and live TV.

Where figure of 128 is either SD or the stream is ramping up to full bit rate.

I am sure somebody who has a suitable device that offers the bit rate information button will confirm the actual numbers involved.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps  @allanc 

Hey Schnapps

Can't say for sure but your figures seem OK to me.

Cheers.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

I only use a Boost Pass nowdays and from me using my Youview Box on the rare occasions i believe a figure of 7831 if you press the info button on the remote confirms it's 1080p.

Where i see 7813 on both Live TV and Boxsets (where content has been encoded to 1080p).

Because i haven't used a NowTV Standard Pass in nearly a year now since Boost was introduced i can't remember fully the other exact figures for 720p and SD.

There is a couple of threads talked about this in the past (you just need to find them via the Community search feature).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

There is a typo on my first two posts that i can't edit, it should say 7831 = 1080p and i believe 720p = 4830.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi all, I am using the Boost pass and I seem to only get a stream quality of 128. I noticed that occasionally it shows a higher number. I only watch sports and the picture is ok, but not what i really expect from HD. Sometimes there is a little shadowing or the pitch seems a little blurred in some areas. My download speeds are superfast BB from Plusnet. The Tv is connected by wifi at 500mbs+. Thanks for any help.
allanc
Scholar 3
Jeez, mine with boost is 8000. Even without boost it is was 3500. What kind
of broadband do you have ? And how many devices are you running of your
router ?
allanc
Scholar 3

What device are you using,  roku stick, now tv box or tv app.  I had problems with lg uhd now tv app. Bought a roku streaming stick + 4k  uhd.  Problem sorted

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@allanc  Hi mate, I was using the app on my Sony 4k tv. I have a Nowtv stick which connects wirelessly at 170Mbs (according to the router). The TV is connected at 500+Mbs,  (according to the router) so I thought that would be better. The stick says that the connection is good at 53Mb, it is a Plusnet superfast BB. 

I have a few things connected to the system, perhaps I should turn them all off?