cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Strange phone calls

Just had a phone call from BT open reach saying they are terminating my Internet connection wot should I do 

3 REPLIES 3
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Toni

It's more than likely it's a scam call, I've had two or three of them and I'm not even a BT customer.

When you get the next call, and you will, just put the phone down and ignore it, eventually when they don't get you to bite they will stop or try something else.

Remember, these scam (scare tactics) calls are ultimately designed to separate you from your money.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @ukbobboy 

My nan constantly gets these calls and did panic at first until I told her these scammers just use phone number generators on the off chance, the person on the end of the phone is with BT. How they can live with themselves is beyond me. 

If you are ever concerned with your account, you can always call the official team. Just don't use the number from 1471. If you are a NOWTV broadband customer, the phone number will be under the Broadband & Calls section of your account, so they can put your mind at ease. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993  @Anonymous User 

Hi Casey 

Yes, you are quite right, these scammers are usually calling from abroad, e.g. India, and are targeting the elderly and vulnerable, i.e. people that can easily be conned.

Unfortunately, along with the benefits of technology, such as extensive communications,  comes a load of downsides, one of which is the proliferation of predators that think it is more profitable and easier to prey on vulnerable people rather than earn an honest living.

Because these scam calls come from abroad they cannot be blocked and are outside of UK jurisdiction. So please relay to your Nan that whenever she gets an unsolicited call, and she does not recognise the voice at the other end, then just put the phone down and do not worry about being impolite.

The best way to stay save from phone scammers is simply not to talk or listen to them, just put the phone down.

UK Bob