cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gibbo1471
Scholar

Sr204 sky router

Hi all been offered a sky router sr204 model not the sr203 would this be ok to use still as it's a different model I want to use it instead of my nowrouter to help with wifi strength 

13 REPLIES 13
Jayach
Elite 3

I believe so. As far as I know, the SR204 is capable of using GFast but will still work on VDSL.

Gibbo1471
Scholar

I got it home today plugged it in and done a factory reset.

I then turned it off and plugged the cable in from the openreach box left it for 10 mins but unfortunately only the power light and the wifi light is on the internet light has no light at all is there anything I'm doing wrong 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Gibbo1471 

You will need to leave it longer than 10 minutes (assuming the NOW Hub 2) was working and plugged in previously.

A forum member who was using the SR203 said it took him a couple of hours before the Sky Router fully connected and settled down.

Gibbo1471
Scholar

Oh ok didn't think it would take that long any idea why I am learning lol I have now got a sr204 and a sr203 to play with I was just thinking that the sr204 maybe was not compatible as it's designed for bigger speeds etc also my now hub 2 was connected and working fine before I tried the sr204

Jayach
Elite 3

From when I was on Sky, I remember the line wouldn't accept another router until a working one hadn't been present for some time. (probably something to do with MAC address and DHCP server)

Try putting one of the routers on when you retire for the night, it will probably be working when you get up.

Gibbo1471
Scholar

Just an update I put the sr203 in and connected within 10 mins so I don't think the sr204 is compatible just my instinct 

Jayach
Elite 3

Good to know that the SR203 works, has it cured the problems?

I wouldn't dismiss the SR204 as not working on VDSL, just because SR203 connected quicker,

I suspect the time before it will give out a new address to a different router is dependant on how long it has been since it last refreshed the lease time on the previous router. Also once it has given a router an address, it will remember that router and it will connect immediately from then on.

Of course I could be completely wrong.🤣

Gibbo1471
Scholar

Hi all when I put the s203 on and powered up there was an amber light on the internet then after 5 mins went green but the s204 don't display any light at all which makes me think it's not compatible with now lines as it's designed for gigabit etc just my opinion I will try again tonight and leave it on all night untill the morning and by the way the wifi strength is so much better with the sky one using wifi analyzer it's about 20db better will keep you updated 

Jayach
Elite 3

Thanks for the update. Glad the Wi-Fi is better, as expected. Why Now don't use the same router I don't understand. The cost difference must be so little and it would save so many complaints.

I'm betting the SR204 will work, but it will be interesting to find out.😄

Try factory resetting it first.