cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Split WiFi channel speeds

Hi,

After suffering hopeless WiFi connection unless sat next to my router, I have now split my channels, as advised here on the forum.

I’ve yet to properly test if there is any improvement for the distance issue, but I’m a bit intrigued as to the Link Speed as given on my Android phone.

When I join the 5 channel is says 866 Mbps, whereas if I join 2.4 it says 130 Mbps, and I’ve seen it down as low as 86Mbps.

Can someone tell me are these numbers refer to, as they seem to be very high?

Also, I’ve just done a quick speed test and Ch5 is at 27Mpbs, with Ch.2.4 coming back at 20Mpbs.

Would  you expect to see such a difference between channels, and should I change my other devices onto Ch5, or will that then start to impact on speeds?

Thank you

(Great Forum by the way, very helpful with answers that are easy to follow.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

By the way you would usually expect a bigger difference between 5ghz and 2.4 ghz.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Those are physical layer (maximum theoretical) speeds that the hub can deliver.  But they do change when you check them on you mobile. Obviously the hub cannot process more than 1Gbps

allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

By the way you would usually expect a bigger difference between 5ghz and 2.4 ghz.