cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Some android apps won't display images or slow to play audio/video when connected to NowTV wifi.

Hi, I'm hoping that there's a simple fix.... 

When using my Ebay or BBC News or BBC radio android apps when connected to my NowTV Wi-Fi network, none of apps display images very quickly if at all... The audio takes ages to load on the BBC radio app... 

When I use the apps on 4G or another Wi-Fi network they work absolutely fine...

Thinking I might have made a mistake moving to NowTV!!!!

16 REPLIES 16
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

A bit of a long shot, but have you tried playing around with the broadband buddy settings by going to My Account > Settings & Pins on here ?

I have my broadband buddy switched off.

If the above doesn't work it sounds like more like a wifi issue and have you tried resetting the nowtv hub by pressing the reset button on the back of the router for 10 secs.

What is the wifi reception signal showing on your Internet devices and what download speeds are you getting from the nowtv hub by going to My Account > Technical Checks on here ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps,

Thanks for the reply, yep already tried those suggestions to no avail, so sounding like a Wi-Fi issue...

Tried a router reset least night, but again, no joy. The Wi-Fi strength on the devices are 100% (although the router Wi-Fi strength is pretty poor outside the room where the router is situated).

After after going to the URL you suggested, i'm getting 40mbps, although it has pinged up an issue on the router and has suggested I ring them....

I'll keep you posted as to what happens....

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I would also try re naming the wifi dual band SSID name in the hub 2 router settings and then try your devices if they are dual band on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz to see if there is a difference in the wifi reception.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, been scouring the net as have the same issue and it's been driving me crazy!! It started about 4 days ago and only effects my phone (Samsung galaxy s9). Apps like ebay, twitter (to name a few) are really sluggish and won't load the pictures/videos, Google play also won't download anything? Ironically I can't even watch now tv on my phone as it just sticks on the buffering ring?? Strangely everything works when I  switch off wifi and use my 4g and all the apple products in my house work fine, it just seems to effect android? Because of this I have deleted/reinstalled all the apps on my phone, cleared the cache/deleted data, reset all network settings and even carried out a full factory reset thinking it was my phone but still not working!! The frustrating thing is if I'm contacted to a different wifi box my phone works so it has to be a router issue. I was going to contact now tv tomorrow to ask for a new box (I'm currently on the box one) to see if that will help, which one are you using and have you had any joy yet?? Just a final note I've checked and played with every setting on the router also (even restored it) but nothing!! Really lost with this and extremely frustrated!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User, well I phoned up NowTV and they said the broadband buddy was on, so they switched it off.... I can now view the BBC news app ok, but hasn't made any difference to the BBC radio  app or the ebay app...

I'll be calling them again tomorrow to insist they sort it!!!!!

I never had this issue when I was with Sky, but since NowTV is owned by Sky and use sky equipment,so I'm struggling to understand why this issue is occurring.... Help us please NowTV!!!!!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you was with Sky previously, double check in your old Sky account if the Sky Shield is not blocking these sites somehow.

You never know there may be a conflict with Sky Sheild and NowTV broadband ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps, just checked the skyshield and it's all off.... It is peculiar.... 

I'll give NowTV a call tomorrow and see what they come up with....

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

It was worth a shot.

My Android phone using the Ebay App seems to be working fine with the NowTV Hub Router 2.

Hope you get it sorted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thing is I've been with now tv for just over a year (renewed contract a few weeks ago). I have the same router, nothing has changed and up until the 31 October all was good?? Are you trying to contact through an apple or android device?