cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robbo1
Advocate

Smart stick can't find 5G Wifi

Hi,

I've recently got a NowTV Smart Stick (April 2020) with HD and Voice Search. This is working with 2.4G wifi from the Post Office - however the Smart Stick cannot find the 5G option offered by the PO router.

I've read some threads on here and have changed the 5G SSID name but with no luck, even putting the TV and Stick right next to the router.

Any ideas? Can this stick actually receive 5G?

Cheers.

Labels (1)
0 Thanks
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Smart stick can't find 5G Wifi

Hi @Robbo1 

From my understanding the NowTV Stick can use the 5ghz band A frequency spectrum between channels 36 to around the channel 48 region (might be wrong though because i am no IT or Networking person).

My Router automatically scans out the best 5ghz channel for me and in my case it usually seems to be channel 36, though i live in a small populated area where there is no high internet wifi traffic.

Maybe look at the Free WiFi Analyser Apps that you can get for on your smartphone or tablet from the mobile Apps Store to sniff out the best channel number to try between 36 & 48 in your home setup.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Robbo1 

Yep the NowTV Stick can either work on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz frequencies.

I am assuming your other internet devices in the home are working over 5ghz ?

Also i am assuming you have gone into the Stick menu settings under Network > About > Set up Connection to see if the Stick can see your SSID 5ghz wifi network ?

If your 5ghz wifi network is not showing on the above, what happens if you go into your Post Office Dual Band Router and instead of using Automatic wifi channels, maybe manually try selecting channel 36.

Robbo1
Advocate

@schnapps  Thank you very much! It's found the 5G now using channel 36 instead of automatic. Not knowing much about this, is there any disadvantage to manually selecting channel 36 instead of using the automatic option?

Thanks again!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Robbo1 

From my understanding the NowTV Stick can use the 5ghz band A frequency spectrum between channels 36 to around the channel 48 region (might be wrong though because i am no IT or Networking person).

My Router automatically scans out the best 5ghz channel for me and in my case it usually seems to be channel 36, though i live in a small populated area where there is no high internet wifi traffic.

Maybe look at the Free WiFi Analyser Apps that you can get for on your smartphone or tablet from the mobile Apps Store to sniff out the best channel number to try between 36 & 48 in your home setup.

View solution in original post

Deggsy12222
Mentor

I was having this same issue with my nowtv stick only being able to connect to the 2.4ghz band which is a poor signal and causing constant buffering.  Came across this solution and changed the 5Ghz band channel to 36 and it works!  Thanks for the solution.

0 Thanks
Deggsy12222
Mentor

the only disadvantage is you join others on the same channel and as a result it has reduced my internet speed by a fraction.

0 Thanks