cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LDKEMP335
Advocate

Slower connection speed than NOWTV shows

I am having problems with my connection speed.  I do a line check on NowTV and it says I should have 80mpb.  I have done speed tests using a wired connection and with the WiFi disabled. The speed I get is still less then 40mbp sometimes down to 24mpb, that is less than half of what I should get.

What do I need to do to get NowTV to correct this.

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having same issues my connection speed has gone back up but speed tests are still below the minimum speed guarantee.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@LDKEMP335 Check what is shown in My Account under Broadband, you should see your Estimated and Guaranteed speeds e.g.

Screenshot 2022-05-31 at 15.32.53.png

If you are not receiving the minimum try connecting the router at your test socket and check again on a wired connection. If still below the minimum then you should notify NOW support about this by calling 0800 759 1213.

LDKEMP335
Advocate

Hello,

I return from holiday yesterday and today I tested the connection.

To test the connection
I disabled the WiFi (so no device was connected via WiFi)
Connected a single PC with an ethernet cable
Used 2 speed test websites

In the tests I carried out the download connection was under 40mbp, on some occasions was under 18mbps where the upload speed was higher.

Jayach
Elite 3

Have you reported it to Now support, as recommended by @redchiz1 previously?

LDKEMP335
Advocate

Yeah, but just a standard response.  Don't have too many devices attached, separate the 5g on to a different WiFi network and factory reset the router.

Completely ignored the fact the issue is also there on a single wired connection. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@LDKEMP335 

Call them again in the morning and request a site investigation along with the lines all the way back to the cabinet if needs be.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
redchiz1
Champion 2

@LDKEMP335 Just to add: was this with the router connected at the test socket with a microfilter; are you aware of any issues on the voice side such as noise on the line?

LDKEMP335
Advocate

I don't have a phone to connect to the landline.

The router doesn't go through a filter, it goes directly to the socket.

redchiz1
Champion 2

OK, try removing the faceplate and connect to the test socket behind there using a microfilter. If the speed issue persists then contact the support team as I advised earlier. 

chilli2
Elite

There are a few other things that can have an effect, do you have a faceplate on your mastersocket ?

what internal wiring do you have - if any?

have you tried plugging directly into the test socket - if you have a mastersocket this is located under the bottom part of it - you will need to remove the top section, but do not remove any more.

Have you tried a shorter higher quality modem cable ?

you said the router isnt connected to a filter - just straight to the socket, are you using a BT to RJ11 cable? as far as i know the standard cable is RJ11 to RJ11