cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LDKEMP335
Advocate

Slower connection speed than NOWTV shows

I am having problems with my connection speed.  I do a line check on NowTV and it says I should have 80mpb.  I have done speed tests using a wired connection and with the WiFi disabled. The speed I get is still less then 40mbp sometimes down to 24mpb, that is less than half of what I should get.

What do I need to do to get NowTV to correct this.

23 REPLIES 23
chilli2
Elite

80 sounds a bit too fast for FTTC/VDSL what speeds are you getting ?

How long have you been a customer of now?

If you recently Moved what ISP were you with before ISP  and package, and what speeds were you getting?

chilli2
Elite

And another question, where are you getting this 80 figure from? Sounds like it could be somewhere on the router, max rate?

This is only achievable if everything is perfect, it won't be.

Jayach
Elite 3

80Mbs sync is perfectly possible on FTTC. You just need to be within about 200 yards of the cabinet.

I was getting 80Mbs with an SNR of 4.9. I've been swapping routers a bit and upset DLM so I've now got 78.83Mbs with an SNR of 5.3. I'm about 260 yards from my cabinet.

Download speeds will be reduced by 5-10% due to overheads.
LDKEMP335
Advocate

I'm less than 100m from the cabinet and from the main exchange for the town where I live.

Jayach
Elite 3

@LDKEMP335 wrote:

I'm less than 100m from the cabinet and from the main exchange for the town where I live.

It's only the distance of the cabinet that is important. You can see what Openreach think your line should be capable of here: BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) (but at that distance it should be 80Mbs with lots to spare)

You should be able to see your sync and SNR figures in the router web interface. (can't tell you exactly where as I'm not on Now)

If you could post your line stats here it may help.

LDKEMP335
Advocate

Thank you for that.

According to that site my connection should be between 80 - 73 mbp.  I'm getting nowhere near that.

LDKEMP335
Advocate

The connection speed on the router shows 79.6mbp, so rounded to 89mbps I assume on the NowTV speed test.

LDKEMP335
Advocate

I have been wiTH NowTV for a few years, I had better speed on the lower package.

redchiz1
Champion 2

As I said earlier, if you are getting lower than the guaranteed minimum speed then take it up with NOW support, as a customer-based community we can't help you here other than with general advice.