cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lir7
Mentor

Slow wifi - huge discrepancy in download speeds

I'm downloading a 1.1 Gb file which is showing an average speed of 100 Kbps.  I've done a Now speed check and it says my speed is 79.9 Mbps.  I may be on wifi not ethernet but surely this is a ridiculous discrepancy?  And it isn't the first time this has been the case for downloading files.  

13 REPLIES 13
RoyB
Legend

@lir7 

79.9 Mbps is the fastest speed which Now will allow you to have. On WiFi, even this theoretical speed will drop off as you get further from the router.

Using fast.com on a browser, ideally on a mobile device firstly in the place where you are trying to make this download and secondly tight next to the router, what actual download speeds does it show?

Also be aware that any download may be speed-constrained at the downloading source, even if your end can support a higher speed. What are you trying to download, and from where?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
lir7
Mentor

Surely the Now technical checker should be giving be the speed "right now" not the marketing blurb?  My guarantee is 59.9 Mpbs.  Fast.com gives me 1.8 Mpbs right now.  If I'm not confusing my hundreds and thousands, this is 33 times slower than it should be and yesterdays actual was over a hundred times slower?  

I'm downloading  a game from Steam.

RoyB
Legend

@lir7 

The Now technical checker tells you what sync speed Now are supplying.

That’s why I suggested fast.com, which should be giving actual measurements similar to those from Speedtest, as mentioned by @chilli2, and it is for me.

But WiFi speeds drop off as you move away from the router, which is why @Jayach suggests measuring over Ethernet, which doesn’t drop off, and I suggested measuring WIFi within a few inches of the router, which is not as definitive, but can be easier to do.

You can’t rely on Steam speed measurements, as Steam may have issues in responding at even your achievable WiFi speeds, but the servers used by fast.com and Speedtest are optimised to respond as fast as your setup is capable of.

But yes, 1.8 Mbps is in the toilet, so you should get onto Now Broadband to get this investigated.

Though one last thing you could try, if your OpenReach Master Socket has a test point (possibly hidden behind a small panel you have to remove) is to plug the router in that and see what speed you get. If that comes back in the 70 Mbps region, you have faulty house telephone wiring; if it is still 1.8, then that’s a number Now can’t argue with.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

That 79.9 speed sounds suspiciously incorrect to me, have you tried over a wired connection? or by using another speedtest site such as https://www.speedtest.net/

Jayach
Elite 3

I suspect the 79.9 Mbps is the sync speed. I would expect a download speed of approx. 70Mbs on that over Ethernet. Over Wi-Fi depends on the Wi-Fi.

That is from a reputable speed test site, not necessarily from steam.

bacillus
Expert

if everything else downloads at reasonable speed then it's possible that Now is traffic shaping your download connection.

RoyB
Legend

@bacillus 

Now do not do traffic shaping.

lir7
Mentor

Thanks for the comments.  I've used the independent checkers today and got 15 Mbs and 18 Mbs, still nowhere near the guaranteed min from Now or the speed on their check today of 80 Mbs (yes I saw the unicorn flying past the windows with the pigs!!).  Something to monitor and then complain about.  

Jayach
Elite 3

If you are getting those speed from sites such as https://www.speedtest.net/ over Ethernet, you need to call Now on the number in this link: 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

If the speed test results are over Wi-Fi then Now will probably be unable to help.