cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Slow broadband speeds

Hi there,

Every night my internet speeds will drop massively. Throughout the day, I get about 60mbps download and 18mbps upload, with a ping of about 30. Then, in the evening, I get 25mbps download at best (usually a lot lower than that), an upload of about 5mbps and a ping of over 200. I've tested this both via WiFi and ethernet, and the results are the same. I know you can sometimes expect some slower speeds in the evening due to it being peak time, but this is over 50% performance degradation which is absolutely crazy. When I go into the router settings and check the line speed/do a technical check on the NowTV site, it claims my line speed is 80mbps, and while I know I shouldn't expect that speed due to various factors, I don't even get close to that when my internet is performing at it's best, never mind when it's at it's worst.

I've tried following the instructions on the help page, and live chat is not available for whatever reason. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

I can see somebody knows what they are doing😎

Re throttling at peak times, NowTV’s policy is here

So pretty uncompromising, and if it is happening, it is accidental.

One thing you could try is getting a new IP address; my fellow responder @schnapps  advocates powering down the router for 30 minutes or so. And see if this gives you a new gateway into NowTV, possibly avoiding the piece of NowTV kit giving those very long ping times. Worth a try anyway.

Other than that, best to call the broadband support phone number you have been given and discuss it with them, with particular reference to guaranteed speeds.

And I am sure you know enough not to be fobbed off with ‘evening contention’ issues, as you are getting to NowTV (Sky) like lightning, and the upstream delay starts with Sky’s own internal equipment.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User I have posted contact details on your own thread.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

See the sig on this posting.

Or indeed on the sig on any posting that I or @gavs82008 have ever made 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are paying £30 per month for 60 mbps (supposedly guaranteed), but the internet speed we have been receiving the entire time has been between 0.89-2mbps. The speed is so slow that NOWTV's live chat help will not load. 

I have just taken screenshots to prove how poor the internet speed it (but this site won't let me post them). I ran NowTV's speed test - it said our connection is 80mbps - I ran google's immediately after & it says it is 2.08mbps. These are vastly different results.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Tap the little camera that appears in the row of icons that appears under the word Body above the typing area when you post.

Then call NowTV Broadband free on your landline, using the number for them you will find under My Account/Orders & appointments, and refer them to your posting.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm getting the exact same thing, was getting 63 and now dropped to 10. There sending me a new hub out to see if that works. Fingers crossed 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

just get rid of nowtv which i will be doing asap

Anonymous User
Not applicable

SOLVED: use your Ethernet wire and plug directly into your TV. It’s streaming perfectly now for hours!!! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

your luck !! look at this:::

Broadband plan

Brilliant Broadband

Your broadband is changing

Unlimited downloads which is perfect for watching TV, and all your browsing and emailing needs.

Download speed:

Your minimum download speed is guaranteed, and if we don’t stick to it, you can leave without a charge!

Estimated3.2-7.3 Mbps

Guaranteed2.2 Mbps

Upload speed:

Estimated0.7-0.7 Mbps

Internet speed test
015102050100+
Megabits per second

Testing upload…

Mbps download

Mbps upload

ping: 33 ms
Server: woodbridge,suffolk ip13

Your Internet connection is very slow.

Your Internet download speed is very low. Web browsing should work, but videos could load slowly.

And I have just waited a week ,paid for fab fiber and i get "let me tun test"

Internet speed test
015102050100+
Megabits per second

Testing upload…

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency(ping): 48 ms
Server: London,woodbridge,ufford

Your Internet connection is slow.

Your Internet connection should be able to handle one device at a time streaming a video. If multiple devices are using this connection at the same time, you may run into some congestion.

what aload bull after waitting a week , everything I have in internet , its a new build i just moved in, my  !,light bulbs x34, wifi plugs x18, 4 googles, 5 phones, 4 smart tvs, 2 x kindels, 8 x sonos speakers, ring door bell cctv, crist 3 nest cctv , 3 nest lights , and nest heating being instaled this week, this is our 1st home and we are watching a old roku box and kid 1 fire stick , crist knows how much data kids are using , saing grace is there is a ct wifi on the local device list and you can buy as use , I just dont get it , took my box next door and got 55mbps so going be on phone to nowtv allday again, who say ,mine line is ok ,bt if i run there check my kine it says call them as fault...VERY POOR SERvvice bewear if u move to new est in ufford , woodbridge ..

thats m norning rant ,"smile be happy helen,  have gold there, wish i had 0.2-3...

regards adam