cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Slow broadband detected

Could someone tell me what it means by slow broadband detected when I click on technical checks. It also says the tv is fine but I might have trouble watching NOW TV on a device connected to broadband while the service is slow. Why not watch using a 3G or 4G connection instead?

16 REPLIES 16
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

When you signed up to NowTV broadband or fibre on your order acknowledgment, there should be a minimum guaranteed download speed (you should find the email in Message Centre under My Account).

Then carry out a Technical Check and follow the procedure right to the end and if your line download & upload speeds are no where near the minimum guaranteed figure in the email, then there may be an issue with the line which needs further checks or investigation.

Before calling the broadband team, I would firstly try a reset on the hub router by holding in the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 secs and if the Internet speeds at the router by doing another Technical Check is still low, then switch off the hub router at the power mains for 20 minutes.

Should after the above the speeds are still way to low, then get in touch with the broadband team for further assistance.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I didn't receive anything about minimum guaranteed download speed

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You must be on the old method where the ISP's advertised the Average Down speed, where the minimum guaranteed was only introduced in the last four or five months from memory.

Go to Broadband & Calls on your account and under broadband plan, click on the drop down arrow to expand your plan details where you will hopefully see an Average down speed.

If there is a vast differences in speeds when carrying out a Technical Check on here, then phone the nowtv broadband team.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It shows I should be getting Avg. 36 Mbps  I clicked on technical checks this morning and it's changed from slow broadband detected to weak Wi-Fi signal detected. I did the tests they said online and I need to phone nowtv.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

It shows I should be getting Avg. 36 Mbps  I clicked on technical checks this morning and it's changed from slow broadband detected to weak Wi-Fi signal detected. I did the tests they said online and I need to phone nowtv.

@Anonymous User Definitely give us a call. We'll more than likely walk you through changing the wireless channel on your hub and hopefully this fixes the issue. If not, it'll be an engineer visit.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I find the WiFi weak message to be inaccurate from my experience when going into Technical Checks on three different nowtv broadband / fibre accounts.

When this wifi weak signal message pops up i have checked my wifi devices around the house and haven't noticed any drop off of the wifi reception signal to my devices.

It's the same when i am at my Dad's and Sister's house, where sometimes it shows weak signal message under Technical Checks on their nowtv accounts, but in reality their wifi signal is pretty good anywhere around their house.

So i normally ignore the message unless i am having wifi issues with my devices.

Another message i get now and again when undertaken a line Technical Checks, is that an Engineer Required message pops up, but if you continue with the checks for me the download and upload speeds are excellent and i haven't noticed any drop in internet speeds or problems with the telephone line, so again i tend to ignore the message, unless there is a problem. 

Like @Tony-D said, give the nowtv broadband team a call and they should be able to assit & help you out further if you believe your broadband is not performing to it's full potential on the speeds that you was told when signing up to nowtv service.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did a speed test this morning over wifi and I was getting 11.1 mbps.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I did a speed test this morning over wifi and I was getting 11.1 mbps.

Very strange. Do you have have Dual Band NOW Broadband Hub? If you do you will access to over 100 Wi-Fi channels.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the nowtv hub two (NR801). If I login to the router and go to wireless and click on 2.4 GHz wireless settings the desired channel goes from auto to 13.