cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Slow Broadband speed

I've recently joined Nowtv for their broadband only. It says up to 11mb and it was the cheapest hence why joined, but I'm only getting around 1.8mb download and 0.4 upload speed. I had a look on the website and tried the renaming of 2.4 and 5 to see if that worked but still the same speed.

I've got netflix but it wouldn't even load up due to the slowness. 

I appreciate I'm on the lowest broadband package but I would have thought even half the quoted speed would be the least I could get. I don't know if it's the area I'm in or just Nowtv but can't continue with it if it's this slow. 

Can anyone help? 

8 REPLIES 8
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've recently joined Nowtv for their broadband only. It says up to 11mb and it was the cheapest hence why joined, but I'm only getting around 1.8mb download and 0.4 upload speed. I had a look on the website and tried the renaming of 2.4 and 5 to see if that worked but still the same speed.

I've got netflix but it wouldn't even load up due to the slowness. 

I appreciate I'm on the lowest broadband package but I would have thought even half the quoted speed would be the least I could get. I don't know if it's the area I'm in or just Nowtv but can't continue with it if it's this slow. 

Can anyone help? 

Did you get this sorted @Anonymous User

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Tony-D

I did a check online and it said there was a problem with the network in my area so an engineer is coming out in a couple of days. 

I did a speed check today and it's up to 4mb/s download speed but the upload is still only 0.5mb/s. I don't know if this is the maximum speed for my area but I'll try the test again in a couple of days. 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Tony-D

I did a check online and it said there was a problem with the network in my area so an engineer is coming out in a couple of days. 

I did a speed check today and it's up to 4mb/s download speed but the upload is still only 0.5mb/s. I don't know if this is the maximum speed for my area but I'll try the test again in a couple of days. 

@Anonymous User Aye Pat well hopefully the enginer can do somehting to improve it as that is a really low upload and even download speed to be fair. Here's hoping anyway 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D

I don't know how to check to see if the engineer has been out to have a look at the network.

I'm still getting between 4 and 5mb/s upload and 0.4mb/s download speed.

Is there any way someone could check an engineer has been out or if there's anything I can do increase my speed please. 

Thanks 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

When you signed up to nowtv broadband you should have had an email order confirmation and in the email there would be a quoted estimated download and minimum graunteed download speed. 

What is the minimum graunteed download speed quoted in your email, is it around the 4mbps mark or much higher? 

If you go to My Account on here and select Message Centre from the options, then one of the messages should say about estimated and minimum graunteed download speeds.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

I had a look and it said the following:

About your NOW TV broadband plan

We estimate the download speed your line could support will be between 11.2 and 19.5 Mb.

You should expect a guaranteed minimum access line speed of 8.2 Mb.

So it seems its half of the speed it should be. What's the next step please? 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

When you go to My Account > Technical Checks was that where you got the 4mbps down speed from ?

You could try powering down the hub router for 20 minutes to see if there is any speed improvement.

Then if you are still down on speed below the 8.2 mbps, then i would phone the nowtv broadband team and explain to them you are not happy with the speed and is not close to the guaranteed speed of 8.2mbps in their order confirmation.

If you click on either Orders & Appointments or Broadband & Calls and click on some of the sections there should be a telephone number to contact.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been to the technical checks page but it says it can't help me online and to phone so I'll give you a guys a call at some point.

Thanks