cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Slow Broadband Speed

I’m on the Super Fibre plan & since March I’ve not been getting anywhere near the guaranteed speed for the connection.

Today I ended up having to abort my Twitch Live Stream as it became unstable.

I then did a line test through the NowTV website & it said that Slow Broadband detected. I did ever that the line test said to do & was told that it couldn’t be fixed & to call customer services.

The Customer Services Agent  said that he’d do a Line Test, which he then said the connection passed, & he was going to email me instructions on how to speed the connection up.

The instructions basically said to change the WiFi Channel to speed up the connection, which surprise surprise didn’t work as redoing the line test on the website still detected slow Broadband that couldn’t be fixed.

Do the CS Agents actually have any knowledge on the subject or are they just reading off of a script that tells them to leave an appropriate amount of silence on the call to make it look like they’re doing a line test, then say that the line is fine & give the BS advice to change WiFi Channel when that’s not the real fault?

Roland

14 REPLIES 14
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Roland

Reading through your post indicated that you are frustrated with the service you are getting, so I guess you really only have two choices:

1) Call Now TV broadband customer service again and insist on them sending out an engineer to fix your problem.

You probably have this number already:  0800 759 1213

2) No need for me to  suggest your next move.

As for your 6th para, no one can really answer that one.

Wish you luck

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Going to phone CS again.

Just needed to vent with the 6th paragraph as it seems pretty stupid to suggest changing WiFi channels on the router, as that’s not going to fix a slow Broadband connection.

Or CS know what the problem is & just suggest something stupid because they think Customers don’t have a clue about computers & networking.

Roland

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

Well contacting CS again was a huge waste of time.

was told to separate the 2.4GHZ & 5GHZ WiFi Bandwidth 🙄.

so I connected my Laptop directly to the Router with an Ethernet net cable, & you guessed it the Line Test on the Website says the same thing as when connected via WiFi, so CS Agent are definitely reading off of a script and have no knowledge of Networking.

Roland

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You did ring the Broadband number that @ukbobboy  gave you and talked to them, rather than contacting Live Chat?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

I rang 0800 759 1177

I used that number yesterday & they said to change the WiFi channel Number.

I then rang that number again to day & they said to split the 2.4GHZ & 5GHZ Bandwidth.

Yet I have the same problem when connected via Ethernet.

They seem to have got an obsession with everything being WiFi related.

They’ve also said via email that there is nothing more that they can do & consider the problem resolved.

Roland

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @RoyB 

Well Roland

It's option 2 then.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy 

Whats option 2?

Roland

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

What speed was guaranteed to you?

What speed are you actually getting, measured on a device connected by Ethernet to the router?

If you look at competing ISPs, what speed are they predicting for your service?

There is just the one broadband line going into your home from the exchange, which any ISP would use. So (absent, perhaps, replacing that line with FTTP) NowTV should be able, technically, to give you the same broadband speed as anybody else can.

Marketing, where they sell you a slower service for a lower price, can come into this, of course; but they should still give you the guaranteed speed for the service you have chosen.

You can give NowTV 30 days to fix the problem; and if they can’t, you can walk away without penalty, and possibly with some compensation.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-code-practice

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

This is my speed info from my account.

Download speed:

Estimated 38.7-55.9 Mbps

Guaranteed 32.6 Mbps

Upload speed:

Estimated 8.1-13.0 Mbps

When I do a speed test with my Laptop connected directly to the Hub 2 by Ethernet I get around 15 Mbps down.

I was looking at Origin Broadband & they do an average speed of 67 Mbps down & 17 Mbps Up for the same price as I’m currently pay NowTV.

Roland

Change my bro