Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky going dish free in 2019

I've been hearing rumors that Sky will be going dish free in 2019

Few Questions

1. Is it true?

2. If true, when will it happen?

3. Would I still be able to record?

4. Would it be through cable, areil or internet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Yes, it was announced quite a while ago that the Sky Q TV service would be going dish-free at some point in the future..... check the link below to an article from whathifi.com (from several months ago):

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-confirms-no-satellite-dish-required-late-2018

So, it is true, it will be an over broadband service, I'm sure you'll still be able to record....... and who knows on the when part????  It was announced quite a while ago and suggested late 2018 or early 2019 for the UK, BUT who knows, possibly more likely to be in 2019 but we'll just need to wait and see.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Yes, it was announced quite a while ago that the Sky Q TV service would be going dish-free at some point in the future..... check the link below to an article from whathifi.com (from several months ago):

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-confirms-no-satellite-dish-required-late-2018

So, it is true, it will be an over broadband service, I'm sure you'll still be able to record....... and who knows on the when part????  It was announced quite a while ago and suggested late 2018 or early 2019 for the UK, BUT who knows, possibly more likely to be in 2019 but we'll just need to wait and see.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, few more questions?

1. Will Now TV still be around?

2. Would I still get Sky Q boxes or will it be around as an app?

3. How many devices can this dishless service get up to?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Ok, few more questions?

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't think nobody can answer those three above questions until the new majority shareholders of Sky (US company Comcast) take over control of Sky Corp and we get closer to the official release date of the Sky Dish Free service where more information will be given to the public.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Ok, few more questions?

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't think nobody can answer those three above questions until the new majority shareholders of Sky (US company Comcast) take over control of Sky Corp and we get closer to the official release date of the Sky Dish Free service where more information will be given to the public.

@Anonymous User

As @schnapps mentions, we'll need to wait a bit longer to answer those questions, but given my current use of Now TV I do hope the answer to No1 is yes!!!!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So we made it to 2019 and still no release date on this upcoming dishless service. Nor no new news. What does anyone know so far?

@Anonymous User wrote:

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Ok, few more questions?

Hi @Anonymous User

@Anonymous User

As @schnapps mentions, we'll need to wait a bit longer to answer those questions, but given my current use of Now TV I do hope the answer to No1 is yes!!!!!!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I haven't heard from any official Sky sources, but reading articles on the internet from non Sky affiliated websites the rumour is apparently true and the talk was orginaly a target date sometime in 2018, which seems now to have slipped back into sometime during 2019 before their new IPTV service will roll out to the public.

The delivery system would be via Internet and i would expect the services to have recording facility to compete with the likes of Virgin Media and BT etc and differentiate from their NowTV service. 

Here's a news article from the BBC back in 2017 talking about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38756577

There are a few threads over on the Sky Community Forum talking about the subject on the new proposed Sky Dish Free service.