cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Q with NOW Hub 2...

Greetings all

I've just transferred my broadband package over to NOW from Sky Fibre, but I've kept my TV package. I have Sky Q and a mini box, which have been working flawessly with the Q hub since being installed over 2 years ago.

The NOW hub 2 they sent to me looks identical to the Sky Q router but I haven't set it up yet, I'm still using my Q hub which is working perfectly well with NOW broadband, and I'd like it to all stay as it is. However, Sky want me to return my Q hub Smiley Sad

As I understand it, the Q Hub has firmware in it that basically means the Q mini box is connected to the main box using a mesh system which works really well and enables the mini box to act as a wifi hotspot. 

My question is, then, will I lose that functionality if I use the NOW hub? As in, do Sky and NOW share the same firmware, as they are effectively the same hardware? I desperately don't want to mess up my Q setup, which is very sensitive to any networking issues, when it has been working so well. Has anybody else got Sky with a mini box working on the NOW hub? I need a bit of reassurance!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK well I answered my own question.. sort of. But it might help somebody else so I'll post it.

With trepidation, I decided to bite the bullet and swap the hub over to the NOW one, as I was going to have to eventually.

To give myself the best chance of success I replaced the splitter and phone cable as per instructions, even though they were identical to the ones I had with the Q hub. Lights went green and verything connected in a couple of minutes, so all good. When it came to the Q set top box, I selected the 'connect a Sky router' option and it found the NOW hub, which then enabled me to connect using the WPS button, which it did no problem. I did the same for the mini box, using the Sky router, WPS button method and that also connected first time. Everything is working as it should, first time. Result! I don't know if the mesh is working, but as long as the mini box stays connected, I'm happy. 

I found the Sky Q hub to be very stable over the couple of years that I had it, and I had good wireless (67-69Mbps down, 18.5 up) on my iPhone and Macbook. Since installing the NOW hub 2, speedtests tell me I'm getting exactly the same, so I have absolutely nothing to complain about there. I just hope, as time goes by, that the network stays stable. Only time will tell.

Hope this has been useful. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

wow ,thankyou ,you,ve sorted my frustration ,just did exactly what you wrote ,and it worked ,now hopefully it all stays on and stable ,

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does the mini box still function as a wifi hotspot?