cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Hub still working

We switched from Sky to NowTV. Expected to lose service yesterday, and then switch over hubs. A day later, everything is still working as before on the Sky Hub. 

Is this normal or OK?

Regs

matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous User 

thought our NowTV would need a different username/password and connect to a different network etc. ”

As NOW TV broadband is effectively Sky broadband, both run on the same network and everything is the same as far as connecting from your home to the internet.

Unlike most ISPs, the Sky network doesn’t require a “user configurable” username & password on the router.

Hence your Sky Hub will just keep on working post switchover to NOW TV as far as connecting to internet is concerned.

If/when you decide to swap it for the NOW TV router, simply re-config the NOW TV router’s wifi SSID (network name) & password to be the same as it was on your Sky Hub - quicker than (& saves you all the bother of) having to change wifi login details on all your devices.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The NowTV Hub Routers are clones of Sky Routers and are interchangeable between the NowTV and Sky Broadband service.

Hence the reason it works.

Should you have any technical problems or undertake a Technical Check on your account or need to get in touch with the NowTV Broadband Team (once you are on the NowTV Broadband service) then make sure the NowTV Hub is plugged in.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cheers, I’m still a bit surprised as I would that thought our NowTV would need a different username/password and connect to a different network etc. 

configurations preset on to the NowTV hub, and invalid on the Sky unit. 

but it’s working I guess 🙂

Cheers

matt

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Never used the Sky Broadband service, but would have thought the SSID network name and wifi password would be different on both Routers and if you wanted to use the same SSID name and wifi password you would have to go into either the Sky Router or NowTV Hub Router via the online url settings to change them.

The standard network SSID name for NowTV Routers is NOWTVxxxxxx where doesn't Sky use SKYxxxxxx.

@Anonymous User 

thought our NowTV would need a different username/password and connect to a different network etc. ”

As NOW TV broadband is effectively Sky broadband, both run on the same network and everything is the same as far as connecting from your home to the internet.

Unlike most ISPs, the Sky network doesn’t require a “user configurable” username & password on the router.

Hence your Sky Hub will just keep on working post switchover to NOW TV as far as connecting to internet is concerned.

If/when you decide to swap it for the NOW TV router, simply re-config the NOW TV router’s wifi SSID (network name) & password to be the same as it was on your Sky Hub - quicker than (& saves you all the bother of) having to change wifi login details on all your devices.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've also still got my sky router connected to Now Broadband service - however it looks like my emails are no longer coming through (MS Outlook with POP3). And pinging my POP3 server fails. Can't understand as everything else is working fine. Anyone else had this ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Solved: Was being blocked by Broadband Buddy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

For an experiment could I try and use the newer sky hub 4.2? Would I have an trouble?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Maybe tag the person on this linked thread below by adding @ in front of their Community Forum name, where the person was using the Sky SR203 on the NOW Broadband service.

Might be also worth asking the person if NOW Broadband Buddy is working on the Sky Router in conjunction with NOW Broadband if this feature is important to you.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Connected-without-internet-Sky-SR203-Router/m-p/565404