cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Significantly worse ping after switching to Now TV

Hi all, I switched to Now TV a couple of weeks ago as my contract with Vodafone had ended and the price was increasing. Now TV was the cheapest with basically the same speed of around 68 Mbps on the super fibre package. We mostly use our internet for gaming so ping is the most important, particularly on League of Legends. So with Vodafone our ping was a steady 25-30 the whole time and we rarely had any problems with it, but with Now TV the lowest it will go is 45-50, with it spiking regularly even while using an ethernet cable. The Wifi signal also seems to be weaker as the ping is very unstable in the bedrooms where it wasn't before. I don't really understand why it would be so much worse than what we had before and it makes the game quite unplayable for us.

I'm a bit confused by this because my understanding was that the connection wouldn't really change much between providers. Like it's using the same cable in the ground right? So I don't know why it's now unusable. 

Checking the speeds on the now tv website, we are getting 61.5 Mbps with an upload of 20 Mbps. It says our estimated speed is 72.4-74.3 Mbps with a guaranteed of 68.4 so I'm wondering if something must be going wrong for this to happen. I think we can switch for free because of this so maybe that's the best option?

What I've tried so far:

I waited 10 days after setup to see if it would improve

I've tried resetting the router multiple times

Using it at all different times of the day

Using different computers/devices/games

I've changed the wifi channel

Not sure what else I can do, any help is really appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Won't be able to help much and not a gamer, but i am a NOW Fab Fibre customer and when using the speedtest.net from time to time (mainly to check my download speeds) my Ping results are between 12 and 14ms but does creep up now and again.

I doubt splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi networks on the Hub 2 Router would make much difference (no harm in trying if you haven't done it already) or see if the NOW Broadband Team can offer any further help.

Do you need the telephone number for the NOW Broadband Team ?

i know NOW offer a guaranteed minimum internet speed when you sign up to them, though i am not sure there is any guarantee with the Ping.