cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Signal non existant in 3/5 rooms - HELP

I have a relatively small house on 2 levels and the only rooms I can get decent WiFi in are the one where the router is placed and the room above it.

I have tried moving the router which didn't hell as it meant it was too far from the TV; tried splitting the signal . Please advise - is there a booster that works? I have a netgear booster but it doesn't work with now.  Need to get it sorted as iy drives me crazy and need to stop spending a fortune on data.

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
Jayach
Elite 3

Why would your Netgear booster not work with Now? What model is it?

Have you just moved from another provider?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NETGEAR WiFi Booster Range Extender | WiFi Extender Booster | WiFi Repeater Internet Booster | Cover...)

Don't know why it wouldn't work. Tried it in various places around the house but the strongest signal I could get in the room which are "dead" was one bar which kept fluctuating to nothing.

Been with NOW for 6 months so couldn't be that!

NETGEAR WiFi Booster Range Extender | WiFi Extender Booster | WiFi Repeater Internet Booster | Covers up to 1200 sq ft and 20 devices | AC1200 (EX6120 

chilli2
Elite

What router are you using?

If you can you should keep the router away from a few things, stuff like TV's  on the floor/in the corner, fishtanks, microwaves, window ledges can all affect the signal.

If you have a smartphone try downloading an app called wifi analyzer ( android) which you can use to check the signal strength

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, have done that.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have now actually bought a mesh router which has worked wonders and very easy to use, finally have wifi  all over the house!!

TENDA NOVA MW32 if that helps anyone

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Good for you then!

The thing with a WiFi booster like the Netgear is that it is no good using it in a dead room; it needs to be within the range of reliable WiFi from the Now router.

It then picks up the WiFi from the router, and casts a circle of further WiFi range around itself which (you hope) encompasses all the dead rooms. Though you will see that, almost by definition, up to half of the range is wasted, as it just laps back over the range that the router has anyway, if the router WiFi is half decent,

In fact, absent an asymmetrical WiFi footprint in your property (the thing boosters are really designed for) the best place to put it when you have a Now router can be right next to the router; and you can then regard the booster as providing all your WiFi.

But mesh is better….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

But mesh is better….

Much better.😃