cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Set up

Hi, I have just received a new now Broaddrick broadband router and discovered that I only have ethernet ports on the wall sockets. I have connected and ethernet cable from the wall to the back of the router, just plugged into the ethernet port, but have nowhere to plug broadband telephone cable that came with the router. The service is due to go live today, but as of now it isn’t working. Will this work with the ethernet cable or do I need to book an engineer? I know there is a live telephone line because my son had a Plusnet broadband router working in this flat 

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You need to hook up the NOW Hub 2 Router to a BT or Openreach Telephone Master socket.

Have a read of this linked Help article below for further details.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-do-i-set-up-my-now-broadband-hub-two 

If you haven't got a telephone line installed in the home, then you need to phone the NOW Broadband Team.

Jayach
Elite 3

It sounds like you need to ask your son where the BT/Openreach master socket is.

Having Ethernet ports on the walls is unusual, unless someone has installed structured cabling.

If they have, there is probably a cupboard/room where the patch panel will be, and the master socket may be in there.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Is it feasible to ask your son to pop round and set it up for you?

That telephone cable is what connects the router to the internet, via being plugged into the router at one end and the Master Socket at the other, and as he is familiar with internet setup in the flat, he can ensure that things are exactly as they should be at your end.

Which will be reassuring, either if it works straight away, or it needs a tweak, which you will then know needs to be at Now’s end, rather than you wondering if you have something wrong.

Re wall sockets; we have the structured Ethernet cabling that @Jayach mentions, but it’s not possible to use this to put a Now router on the internet.

However, it is possible to put a Now router on any telephone wiring you may have in the flat, and while this is theoretically not as good as plugging it directly into the Master Socket, it may put the Now router in a more central position in the flat, to spread the WiFi more evenly.

It’s even possible that your son did this with his PlusNet router to overcome some physical installation issues, though the WiFi issue will likely not have arisen with that router.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.