cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Set Up / newbie

Hi, newbie here (a BF Broadband deal reeled me in).

I had no clue I needed to get a stick (in other words, I didn't check first that my (not so) smart samsung TV is a 2014 & therefore cannot get the app loaded. Therefore, I need a stick, right?

Bizarrely, when I logged in again on my phone after having made the BB and a Ent pass purchase, the only screen I got was a basket with a stick in it and the only option was to proceed to payment (I couldn't remove it).

I believe Now have no sticks to send out anyway and even if they did, I can get a cheaper one in a store tomorrow and not have to wait for the post as  my pass is active already (i think).

So ... do I need a stick? What is the box i keep hearing about then? Do you get a router AND a TV box from Now?

Also, any stick from a retailer will have a pass loaded, whereas I don't need a trial pass as I've just subscribed to one. Should I cancel my subscription pass & just buy a stick & use that free for a month, then subscribe?

&, if i do that, will I be able to get the £5.99 offer I got today? 

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.   

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You don't need to get a Now TV Stick. 

There are 2 options, purchase a Roku stick, far more reliable than the Now TV Stick.

Or use the casting function on your phone to cast Now TV to your Samsung TV. 

As an option you can speak to Now TV staff on Live chat to discuss what offers you can get if any. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

Make sure to click "Chat to an advisor"

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Legend.

My steam valve Samsung is six months too old to run the app u/f. So I got a Now stick - didn't know the roku one was a thing - but it's OK as it was a decent deal on BF.

Getting the hang of it all now. Appreciate your advice and apologies it took me so long to reply 🙂 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

(part ii)

Stick up & running on tv1. 

Now for tv2: 

1. you mention streaming from the Now app., which I have downloaded but ... can you cast from the app itself or do you just play it on the phone and use the phone's casting option?

2. you mention a roku stick ... but they are getting on for double what you can pay for a Now stick, so what is the advantage to warrant the extra? 

3. is it the case that the Now TV stick is useless if you switch away from Now BB in the future? In other words, if I buy ano Now stick, will I have x2 useless gadgets or will they work subsequently with all the other loaded apps (Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon etc) but just not the now TV service?

Thanks. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

So when you use the casting function on your phone to the TV annoyingly this will take up 2 device slots. 
It’s really up to you and if your happy to cast it via your phone.

As for the Now TV stick, it is just a poor device. If I was you, my money would actually be on purchasing an Amazon fire stick, far more reliable and smoother. 

It really make no difference what internet provider you are with on how you use to watch Now TV. 

In my personal opinion the best device Now TV provided was the smart box, but this has been discontinued. 
Being an owner of a Now TV stick, Roku stick, Amazon Fire stick and a Amazon 4K fire stick, I can safely say that hands down both the Amazon fire sticks are miles better than the Now TV and even possibly the Roku sticks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Gav,

OK noted on the good, bad and ugly stick choices. I'm such a technophobe, I
didn't even know a fire would run Now for e.g.

Anyway, back to the app - I get it would be x2 device 'slots' used, but
that's fine for the usage I can foresee atm.

So have I got the right app? As far as I can see, the Now TV one doesn't
have its own cast function (like, say, Utube's) - so do you just use the
phone's functionality?

I'll have a play in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

So this is a screenshot of the app on my iPhone 

as you’ll see that I have the cast button on the top right 

909C895F-EFFF-470C-AF74-00619C317807.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Have, however the screenshot never made it through... ?