cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seeing two SSIDs on 2.4GHz Wifi, same name but different Channel

Hi, I'm currently having issues when using the 2.4GHz channel on WiFi, the 5GHz is unaffected.

I have a different SSID for 2.4 and 5 so I know which one I am connected to. I can see using a wifi scanner on my phone that there are two SSIDs with the same name but on different channels, I know they are coming from the Now router as they disappear when it is powered off but it seems like there is confusion on my devices about which channel they should be connecting to, this is causing connection dropouts, and by watching a PING to the internet I can see high response times and packet loss via 2.4 that is not there on 5.

Can anyone explain why I am seeing two channels at the same time, and how to turn one of them off!

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The NOW Hub 2 will automatically attempt to find the best WiFi channel on either 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

If you haven't done it already you can rename and split both networks (which I have done and select which network you want to connect over WiFi on each of your WiFi connected devices) by following the instructions in this link.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

On step one you don't need to use an Ethernet cable with the Router and just use a Wi-Fi connection when accessing the NOW Hub 2 webpage browser settings if you haven't got a PC connected to the Hub 2 (I just use a tablet or smartphone). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you got any Wi-Fi extenders/repeaters. It sounds like you may be seeing one of those as well as the router.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If none of the above replies help in anyway, then maybe reset the Router back to it's default settings by holding in the reset button on the back of the Hub 2 for around 10 to 15 seconds.

Then once the Router has rebooted and stabilized, try splitting the two wifi networks again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No repeaters/extenders in use, and the MAC addresses of the hardware as shown by my wifi analyser are both BSKYB owned ranges.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Are you using any Roku / NOW branded devices on your network, where maybe you are seeing the wireless access point from these devices.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/NowTV-box-broadcasting-as-wireless-AP/m-p/456347 

If using these devices, see if unplugging the power to them removes these wireless AP's.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have set the 2.4GHz manually to channel 6, however I also see another SSID with the same name on channel 1. I have the 5GHz network with a different SSID so that I can tell them apart.

The MAC addresses of the hardware both come out to being BSkyB equipment, however one starts 78:3e:53 and the other starts 80:75:1f. There isn't a dual 2.4 GHz radio in the router is there?