cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonwp
Advocate

Second Phone Line

Hi - I've had my Now TV broadband installed for a few months and it's working well. However, the place where the phone line has been installed is too far away from my office and the signal isn't reaching it reliably. 

How would I go about getting a second phone line installed, or a second phone socket, more centrally in the house? I've looked all over the website and can't find any information about this. 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Jonwp 

Give the broadband team a call to find out what can be done. See link below for the number.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Jonwp 

I can’t figure out if you are talking about the phone signal to a DECT phone or phones, or if it is the WiFi on the broadband that isn’t reaching your office.

You can get anybody to install extra phone extensions for you these days; they should be qualified and/or experienced to do the work, of course, but anything on your side of the Master Socket is up to you, and you don’t need Now or BT Openreach for this.

But you don’t need a second line, you just need an internal extension; and if you are talking about the reach of the broadband,, perhaps not even that, as an alternative router with a better reach, or a WiFi extension over PLAs, like this:-https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwpa7517-av1000-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10222...

might suit you better.

But what is it, exactly, that you are trying to achieve here?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Benji
Observer

@RoyB 

I have what sounds like a similar issue as the original poster. We've recently moved into a house with an office (posh shed really) in the garden. The WiFi in the house is fine, but it doesn't extend to the office. We've tried using WiFi extenders, by placing them in the socket closest to the garden, but both ones we tried didn't extend the range of the WiFi far enough.

The outside office has a phone socket in there, so we tried simply unplugging the routerr from the master socket and plugging it in in the office instead, but that didn't work.

Someone else suggested using a PLA set-up, but my understanding is that is piggy-backs of the power supply to extend WiFi round the house? The outside office has it's own fuse box, so may be on a different set of wiring.

Apologies, I'm really not a practically, or technically minded person, so there may be some glaringly obvious things I haven't picked up on, but any advice is welcome.

RoyB
Legend

@Benji 

My garden office had its own fuse box, but was definitely on the same wiring on the house. If it wasn’t, it would need its own meter. Has it got its own meter?

If not, switch something on in the posh shed that is a significant load - a fan heater say - and then turn the mains off in the house. If this stops the fan heater, you have your answer, it is going through the main board. If it doesn’t stop the fan heater though, see if the electricity meter is running. If it is, then it’s still linked to the house system, but the tap for the posh shed is between the meter and the main board.

Only if the meter is stationary, but the load is still running in the posh shed, is it separate.

As long as it’s not separate, you can get one of those PLA sets where the remote end is WiFi enabled, should be under £60 but do get the dual-band one, and then you can use wired and/or wireless in the posh shed; both at the same time if you want.

That's what I did. Good enough for my clients to rely on me for 24/7 critical support, where needed.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.