cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same router for broadband and fibre?

Can anyone confirm that the broadband router I have will also work with a new fibre package I am getting when I move home? A customer service rep said it would which is really great but I've not heard of a router being able to do both - does the telephone line go in and just work? I figured an engineer would have to come and install a new line dedicated to faster internet but the rep advised that the existing line will plug in just like my broadband one and the router is compatible with both standards.

Thanks

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes that’s correct. The same router can be used for either broadband service (the lower speed ADSL or the FTTC fibre to the cabinet).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yes that’s correct. The same router can be used for either broadband service (the lower speed ADSL or the FTTC fibre to the cabinet).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's great to hear, thanks! Never heard of that before but I guess it's been a while since I last had fibre!

It’s been a thing with Sky routers since the SR102 a few years ago (of which the first NOW router was a variant).

@Anonymous User  It’s been a thing with Sky routers since the SR102 a few years ago (of which the first NOW router was a variant).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i myself am in a fibre active area and yes it still puzzles me how ADSL is considered Fibre since BT and Virgin Fibre are usually connected with a coaxel cable and not a standard ADSL cable to guarantee Fibre speeds 

@Anonymous User  ADSL is not “considered Fibre”. ADSL is entirely over copper wire from exchange to home. VDSL/VDSL2 is “considered Fibre” due to being fibre from exchange to street cabinet, but still over copper wire from the street cabinet to home. As far as I know, it’s mainly only Virgin Media who run over co-ax (BT not at all). Blame OFCOM for terminology...