cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daveb119
Advocate

Router

I am moving from a BT hub to a NOW router. My BT hub is the digital voice one (VOIP) where my home phone is plugged in the router itself ..Is the NOW hub the same...is it a VOIP enabled router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Daveb119 

No it doesn’t, I’m afraid. You will have to go back to a separate POTS (plain old telephone service) connection in a filtered Master Socket, or use micro filters on every phone connection.

On the bright side, though, this is impervious to mains outages, which VOIP is not.

But it sounds like you are giving up FTTP (Fibre To the Property)? You do realise Now is only FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) at best?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@Daveb119 

No it doesn’t, I’m afraid. You will have to go back to a separate POTS (plain old telephone service) connection in a filtered Master Socket, or use micro filters on every phone connection.

On the bright side, though, this is impervious to mains outages, which VOIP is not.

But it sounds like you are giving up FTTP (Fibre To the Property)? You do realise Now is only FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) at best?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Daveb119
Advocate

Hi,

Thanks for your reply....I didn't think I had FTTP as the maximum speed according to a speed line checker is about 50 MB. you would have thought as all systems are changing to VOIP in 2025 these broadband providers would be giving the option of having a more modern router.  I believe NOW use Sky routers which do have an option of having VOIP routers....all A bit of a mess!!