cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Router Security Flaw - Sky Routers

Hi All,

I have been reading about the massive security flaw in Sky routers that has only just been fixed after 18 months.

I wanted to know if this impacted on Now Routers (rebadged Sky devices). If it does are Now offering replacement devices as Sky are?

Thanks

GSB

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You may be better off asking the NOW Broadband Team directly (do you have their contact details?).

Where hopefully they have been fully updated about this.

Should the NOW Hub Routers be also affected by this security flaw being a Sky clone. 

Then according to the BBC news article, Sky have now fixed 99% of their Routers and only the 1% that was manufactured somewhere else needs to be replaced with a new Router.

Security breaches can happen across different  businesses , where the worrying thing is it took Sky 18 months to send out a security patch fix.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59332840.amp 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If there is an email address I could use then that would be great. Tried their online bot which was useless and they suggest coming through here as a first port of call.

Very likely that the NOW routers were also vulnerable, as they are renumbered variants of the equivalent Sky router models. Note that those, where the router’s login details (to access its user interface) had not been changed from the defaults, were significantly more vulnerable than those where either (or both) username and password had been changed.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/11/sky-broadband-uk-took-18-months-to-fix-router-security... 

@Anonymous User @schnapps 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Use this email address on the screen shot below.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that, I will message and let people on here know the response.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Look forward to the reply you get back from NOW, where i am a NOW Broadband customer and use their Router.

On my first post i meant to say Security Weakness not Breach. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All,

This is the response I had so it seems they are saying no Now routers had the issue. However the do say 'I am afraid this did not affect our routers' which does not make sense as surely this is a good thing 😀

'Thanks for getting in touch. I hope all is well. 

I am afraid this did not affect our routers and was only a sky router issue. 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with 🙂 

To contact us about this topic, reply to this email without changing the subject line.

We’re working a little differently in these challenging times to keep our staff and customers safe. Please expect delays while we deal with your query.

You may find the answer to your query in our Help and Community pages.

Bye for now,

The NOW Team'

@Anonymous User I’d be surprised if what they have said is correct, as the NOW routers are literally re-badged Sky routers of the equivalent models - but with more or less the same firmware (version numbers are similar but slightly different). And I doubt that the firmwares would be radically different.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes that was my though exactly. But the official reply from a Now representative states this is not the case. If anyone has better contacts then I am happy to try again 🙂