cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Router Overheating

Hi All,

I've had Now Broadband several years now, but recently noticed the router (Now Hub 2) is getting very hot (even when doing nothing / no devices connected). It's obviously always been slightly warm, but now is uncomfortable to touch.

Contacted tech support who suggested turning on Power Saving mode in Ethernet options, but this has made no difference.

I suspected the router might have become faulty (it is several years old).

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You could place it near a fan if possible, otherwise I’d call again and ask for a replacement. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008Thanks for the reply. Key thing is it shouldn't be getting that hot in the first place!

chilli2
Elite

Thoughts??

The capacitors or some of them have failed which could cause an over voltage inside the router, leading to an overheat.

This may seem daft, but does it smell like TCP/disinfectant?

Question: you say you have been with now for a few years, are you out of ( minimum term) contract?

if you are paying full price then you could save by switching or negotiating a better deal with Now

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@chilli2  Thanks for the reply. I can't detect any funny smell coming from it, but it does seem a likely cause. Think I'll give them another call and ask for a new one.

I am out of minimum term, but they've kept me on the original (very cheap) deal I joined on, which includes unlimited anytime calls. There's nothing close available nowadays! 😀