cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Router Hijacked

I use my phone to connect to nowtv when at home. Recently a strange message was sent to my WhatsApp contacts. I ran a virus scan and checked the wifi connection. It said my router had been hijacked. 

I have reset the router.

Is there a way to determine if in fact my router has been hijacked.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Chris

There's a good chance the anti-virus you used was a fake planted by the scammers, which is an old trick that has been tried before and seems to be making a come back.

Stay frosty.

UK Bob

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I’m 99.999% sure it’s a scam. The message probably wanted you to download an app to “fix the problem”, but it would only steal your identity and drain your bank account.

Even if not, this type of scam is cruel and designed to induce unnecessary fear into the recipient.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Mark_Weinreb 

Hi Chris

First, let me say that Mark is 100% right, someone (a scuz bucket) or some group of scum buckets want to rip you off.

You should always bear in mind that there are organisations out there, international criminal and even legitimate ones, are always looking for ways to part you from your money, and the tech that we all use make it easy for them to contact us.

You see, it is far too easy for these scammers to part vulnerable and uninitiated people from their money, so much so that these criminals no longer try to do honest work, or even rob banks, but instead set up dodgy companies dedicated 24/7 to ripping people off on an industrial scale.

So continue to be sceptical and do not respond to any unexpected calls to help you with your computer equipment or Internet connection.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the response.

I did wonder if it was a scam of some kind but then thought you can't be too careful.

It was an antivirus from Play Store so it should be good but another one from there said everything was fine. Go figure!!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the response.

I did wonder if it was a scam of some kind but then thought you can't be too careful.

It was an antivirus from Play Store so it should be good but another one from there said everything was fine. Go figure!!!!

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Chris

There's a good chance the anti-virus you used was a fake planted by the scammers, which is an old trick that has been tried before and seems to be making a come back.

Stay frosty.

UK Bob