cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Glenn
Advocate

Request to relocate router

Hi! 
How can I request an engineer to relocate my router? 
I don’t have wifi in my room even though im only downstairs.

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Glenn 

Why don't you get a wifi booster? Which NOW do not supply however

Moving the router into your room will just give you the same issue but for downstairs instead.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Glenn
Advocate

we actually have. We have to move the router nearest possible to our room see if it helps. Moreover, we need wifi in the garden so we really need to move it.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Glenn 

That being said the NOW router is known to be of poor quality anyway. 

To get the location changed NOW would need to schedule a visit by an OpenReach engineer. So it might be a while to warn you as NOW don't own the network.

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/installation-and-setup

NOW Broadband Members can call us 8am–8pm, 7 days a week.

03300 412472

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

If Openreach do move the master socket it will be chargeable, better to spend the money on a mesh system and use that in access point mode. The copper wiring will probably be redundant in the next couple of years. Do you know when your area will get FTTP (Full Fibre)?

RoyB
Legend

@Glenn 

You don’t need an engineer unless you actually want the Master Socket moved.

What are your options for just using a longer telephone cable, or maybe a different telephone point in the property?

The Now router has very poor range; see if you can source a Sky Sr203 router from eBay or similar, which won’t even need any configuration changes; you can just swap it in, in place of the Now one.

A big garden is a big ask, though a small one is fine. If the Sky router won’t cover the garden though, get a pair of PLAs where the remote end is a WiFi repeater, and plug that in, in the house as close to the garden as possible, see how much it covers.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.