cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Replace Router

Hi All,

I've recently moved to now broadband and I was very disappointed to learn that the router only comes with 2 ethernet ports. I have the following wired connections:

1. Direct PC connection
  2. NAS Connection
  3. Apple TV connection
  4.  - POE switch to CCTV

I'd like to either change the router or purchase a switch so that I can continue having the wired set up. WIFI doesn't work and I have existing cables neatly channeled around the house. 

Could someone provide any advice because NOW TV has said that I can use a different router but there will be no support. 

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

There is nothing stopping you using another router. Across the forum you’ll find by searching g that many users have used their own router.

However when you have issues you’ll have to plug in the NOW router again for staff to troubleshoot.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you wish to improve the Wi-Fi then getting your own router would be the best choice, however if you just want more ethernet ports a simple switch should do.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you are more reliant on your devices to run over Ethernet rather than wifi, then invest in either a 5 port or 8 port Gigabit unmanaged Ethernet switch they start from around £15 the last time i checked on places like Amazon, EBay etc.

I use a 8 port unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch myself on my NOW Hub 2 Router and it works like a dream with all my hardwired Ethernet devices.

Easy to setup and was plug & play.

chilli2
Elite

I can only speak for my own expeirience , i am using a TP link archer vr2800 other cheaper models should also work - although occaisionakly you can find routers etc on offer signifficantly cheaper than at other times i used the camel camel camel website to track the prices of the router ..... this was posted on my moving frorm plusnet to now subject on here

If you use your own router, this must support MER log ins , on TP link VR series routers this should be listed as Sky(MER)_VDSL I would strongly advise that you use the tp link support site/forums for advice on compatability

If you have any issues with your line, signal, wifi etc Now will NOT offer support for your own device ( and few other isps will offer support for non supplied equipment) Keep the now router to hand should you encounter any issues

If you struggle with setting up routers - stuff like assigning IP addresses to devices , and so on, and you sometimes need help with setting up wifi then use the now TV router do not buy your own router unless you know ho to set it up, and if its compatible.