cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Recently slow broadband speeds to europe

Hi all,

Not sure what happened but in the recent weeks my download speeds to europe servers been very bad, way below the guaranteed speeds. The problem is if I perform download speed test to UK servers it is bang on and support people on the phone are unable to help. Seems they dont even understand what im trying to say, just goes on and on about wifi strenght in different rooms.

Is there any way to get in touch with actual technical support? or anyone else have similar problems

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When your talking about Europe servers I assume you mean a VPN?

Usually speed issues using a VPN are the fault with the VPN itself.

If you’ve spoken to someone on the phone they are broadband support. My recommendation is to take it up with your VPN provider.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi gavs

No i dont mean VPN.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Ah right sorry I think I get you now, you mean when you can change the servers in "Speed Test"?

Is there a particular reason why you are not just using the default server based on your nearest location? As mines is Gateshead despite living in Edinburgh and the only time it changes country is when I put my VPN on to outside the UK.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes I use speedtest.net to test it to different servers and they all come
back consistently bad to europe.

The reason is I use streaming service to watch some TV from my home
country. I woulndt complain but ive been nowtv customer for 2 years now and
only now the problems started.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That sounds like a peering problem somewhere in Now's network. Such problems are usually cured pretty quickly so hopefully it will only be temporary.

I'm not on Now, and can confirm I don't have that problem, it will be interesting if others on Now could try and see if it is a general problem.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok little update on the issue

I have now proof they are throttling my connection download speeds to europe. I did test few random eu servers on speedtest.net in germany, france, poland, lithuania. Tested once with no VPN and all the results came back slow 5-15 Mbps and then connected to UK VPN and tested exact same servers again I got consistent 57-79 Mbps.

(when connected to VPN for them it shows im downloading inside the UK so they dont slow it down)

One of brexit benefits? Can they legally do this?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh and speaking about good customer service:

after numerous calls to support and filing a complaint got a response on email:

"We’re just confirming that your recent complaint has now been closed. We hope you’re satisfied with the outcome."

closed the complaint without addressing the issue or even providing any explanation.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Ok little update on the issue

I have now proof they are throttling my connection download speeds to europe. I did test few random eu servers on speedtest.net in germany, france, poland, lithuania. Tested once with no VPN and all the results came back slow 5-15 Mbps and then connected to UK VPN and tested exact same servers again I got consistent 57-79 Mbps.

(when connected to VPN for them it shows im downloading inside the UK so they dont slow it down)

One of brexit benefits? Can they legally do this?

I'm sure they are not "throttling" your speeds to Europe. Throttling means they are doing it deliberately.

You may be being throttled but it's probably a fault somewhere rather than a deliberate act.

The problem is getting Now to take it seriously and how you do that I don't know. That's why it would be good if some other Now (or Sky) users could say if they are experiencing the same.

The VPN results are not because Now don't know where you are downloading from, it's because your route to the test servers is completely different.