cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Re: router hub interface says 'not secure' after logging in

Setting up new nowtv Hub2 router, and when I go to 192.168.0.1  the website says not secure (there is no https).  AFTER I put my username and password in and I log in it STILL says 'not secure' even though all my router information is clearly visible (passwords etc).  Shouldn't it be secure after I have logged in? There is no little lock on the address bar,  and the information says that the website is not secure and that I shouldn't enter any sensitive information like passwords as hackers could steal it.   Shouldn't it be SECURE after I have logged in and am doing sensitive things like router password etc. ...???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

Setting up new nowtv Hub2 router, and when I go to 192.168.0.1  the website says not secure (there is no https).  AFTER I put my username and password in and I log in it STILL says 'not secure' even though all my router information is clearly visible (passwords etc).  Shouldn't it be secure after I have logged in? There is no little lock on the address bar,  and the information says that the website is not secure and that I shouldn't enter any sensitive information like passwords as hackers could steal it.   Shouldn't it be SECURE after I have logged in and am doing sensitive things like router password etc. ...???

192.168.0.1 is your router’s local address, which only you, in your home, or somebody very very nearby in range of your WiFi*, can access, and none of the data ever goes out over the telephone line, let alone onto the internet.

Your router is letting you talk to it as if it was a website, which is very useful for setting it up, but you can arrange* that nobody can spy on you doing it.

The most important thing to do, though, is to set new passwords that only you know, for your WiFi, and your router admin and so on; otherwise some black hat might come by, and try to get on your WiFi from outside, and if he succeeds, to get into your router with 192.168.0.1, which is pretty standard.

So you want to

(a) make sure he can’t get onto your WiFi with no password, a default password or an easy-to-guess password

and

(b) even if he does, because he has learned your password through social engineering, going through your trash, or somebody’s carelessness, or because you gave it to him because you though he was a friend, or he is the bloke who stole your phone, etc., etc...

that he still can’t get into your router, because that is passworded too, and that password is different and a more closely guarded secret.

*If you are worried by this, then until you have it all secure, turn its WiFi off and connect to it by an Ethernet cable.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

192.168.0.1 is your router’s local address, which only you, in your home, or somebody very very nearby in range of your WiFi*, can access, and none of the data ever goes out over the telephone line, let alone onto the internet.

Your router is letting you talk to it as if it was a website, which is very useful for setting it up, but you can arrange* that nobody can spy on you doing it.

The most important thing to do, though, is to set new passwords that only you know, for your WiFi, and your router admin and so on; otherwise some black hat might come by, and try to get on your WiFi from outside, and if he succeeds, to get into your router with 192.168.0.1, which is pretty standard.

So you want to

(a) make sure he can’t get onto your WiFi with no password, a default password or an easy-to-guess password

and

(b) even if he does, because he has learned your password through social engineering, going through your trash, or somebody’s carelessness, or because you gave it to him because you though he was a friend, or he is the bloke who stole your phone, etc., etc...

that he still can’t get into your router, because that is passworded too, and that password is different and a more closely guarded secret.

*If you are worried by this, then until you have it all secure, turn its WiFi off and connect to it by an Ethernet cable.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Roy. That is a very well explained answer and it puts my mind at rest.  I have changed the router login password and the wifi network password and they are different from each other.