cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NowAJ
Mentor

Preventing dropouts for security camera

Over the last 6 months we've been away on a couple of occasions and turned on a Google security camera that connects over WiFi.  In both occasions the NowTV broadband dropped out causing us to lose the feed after a couple of days.  Any tips to prevent this?

Last Sunday the broadband dropped out a couple of times for a few minutes, I assume that's what happened to cause the feed to be lost.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@NowAJ 

Couple of things I’m not clear on - did the broadband just glitch, or go out until you came home and reset it?

And if it just glitched, are you saying that made the security camera drop out, and not come back even though the broadband did?

If so, that’s something you could usefully take up with Google. Won’t address the broadband dropping, of course, but could minimise the outage.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@NowAJ 

Below are some standard things you can and probably have done before calling the team.

Have you done a factory reset to the router indicated in the link below, you could also try to split the bands?
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

You need to call the broadband team. See link for number.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

This link also shows any planned outages as well wide spread faults.
https://help.nowtv.com/service-status

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
NowAJ
Mentor

@gavs82008 thanks, I did a reset when this happened last Sunday. Before I contact the broadband team do you know if  there is a way to check the router logs or something for any subsequent dropouts?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@NowAJ 

Sorry man, not being a broadband customer with NOW my knowledge is limited. That being said I would know how to do that with my BT router haha!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@NowAJ 

Couple of things I’m not clear on - did the broadband just glitch, or go out until you came home and reset it?

And if it just glitched, are you saying that made the security camera drop out, and not come back even though the broadband did?

If so, that’s something you could usefully take up with Google. Won’t address the broadband dropping, of course, but could minimise the outage.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
NowAJ
Mentor

@RoyB thanks - as far as I can tell the broadband is lost, comes back and the camera does not restart so I agree it's something for the manufacturer as well.  I would guess most home broadband is not rock solid so the system should be able to deal with it.

RoyB
Legend

@NowAJ 

We were away for a week, and our broadband at home went off, and stayed off. I was swearing blue murder at BT for the outage, until we came home and found that the mains circuit covering the router (and the second freezer, boo) had tripped out…. 😢

NowAJ
Mentor

Going to accept Roy's earlier answer as I agree this is something that the Google service should cope with.  I've raised a separate call with Now support about the dropouts, which are still happening.  I'm not aware of any planned outages that would cause it.