cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor wifi, setting up a different rooter

I've recently joined Now Broadband but have poor wifi.  I spoke with the Help team and they've suggested using my old BT router but I'm not sure how to connect this, any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14
allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

I don't know if they mean using the bt hub as a modem bridge in conjunction with a 3rd party  router of your choice

allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

The router side of the hub is not compatible with skys/now dhcp option 61 so more info is needed

What bt homehub do you have ?

What router are looking at?

Please supply as much info in order that proper advice can be given

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have Now Hub two and BT smart Hub 2.

I'm not techy just trying what the Help team suggested, the range is so poor and connection drops a lot. I wasn't aware using another Hub was an option until they suggested it. Previously when I spoke with the helpt team they suggested resetting and using the BT Mesh disc I have but I couldn't get that to connect .

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It sounded like I should use it as the main router,
allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

If the intention is to use the bt homehub as a complete replacement bt uses pppoe to authenticate the connection sky uses pppoa on adsl up to 24Mbps and dhcp option 61 on vdsl up to 80Mbps

Either way the router will have the authentication hardwired onto the router and cannot be changed

Hence my assumption that the set up would be

Bt homehub in modem mode (bridge)-> 3rd party router

What bt homehub do you have?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Assuming you have tried to split the Wi-Fi signals? 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Connect your Hub Two to your laptop or computer using an Ethernet cable.
  2. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  3. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  4. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  5. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  6. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  7. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  8. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  9. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the help, Now are sending a new router. Seems ridiculous that I can pick up numerous neighbours signals but not from the router in my own house. Hopefully the new one will be better. 

Tonymccl
Mentor

Hi,

Just wondering if you have had any better wifi reception with the new router?

Thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Setting it up later today. I'll let you know if there's any improvement.