cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thesut
Advocate

Poor wifi connection

We have been getting poor wifi connection on all our devices today- Android, Skybox, Windows PC.  We are unable to stream sky or disney it just buffers.  There have been no changes to the set up and it was working fine before hand.  We are using 2.4GHz for wifi with auto channel select.  Router download and upload speed are okay.  SkyQ box keeps coming back with no internet connection.  There does seem to be noise on the phone line.  However, the now line tests state everything is okay.  Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
chilli2
Elite

Anything new in the house/property?

new neighbours?

Fist of all download an app ( android) called wifi analyzer this will tell you signal strengths in various areas, plus what other networks are out there and on what channel they are on .

RoyB
Legend

@thesut 

Why limit your setup to 2.4GHz? This will limit you to ten devices, instead of the 20 you can get if you include the 5Ghz band. And for those devices able to use the 5GHz band, and near enough to the router to pick up the 5GHz signal, they should be able to behave better.

As regards noise on the line, here is a conversation I had:-

BT: I’ve tested your line, and it’s fine.

Me: But I can hear crackling on it,

BT: Yes, I can hear it too.

Me: Well then.

BT: Ah…..

Ring Now Broadband on the noisy line, and have that same conversation 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 @thesut 

There are several apps called WiFi Analyzer, and I have always used the farproc one.

But downloading it to a couple of modern Android devices, it has been saying it can’t find anything. If you try this one, and get the same result as me, try one of the others.

I’ve been using the one that describes itself as Open Source, and it works fine, and is very similar to the farproc one, but I don’t yet know if it is actually the best of the alternatives.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.