cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gibbo1471
Scholar

Poor speeds when activating

Hi all 

Just joined yesterday had engineer out to put new line in he checked speeds etc was getting 79mb download but after using it last night I was getting nearer 9-10mb Download but 17mb upload.

Ever so often when I do a test it does go to 70mb download so not sure on the issue 

Any help appreciated this is via WiFi right next to the hub and also in next room 

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous User
Not applicable

during your first few days your speed can be up and down, then it will level out

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Gibbo1471 

For wifi you can split the bands which should help reliability and speed. Whatever you do don’t turn off or reboot the router as @Anonymous User mentioned the speed will vary over the next 10 days. 
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Gibbo1471
Scholar

Unfortunately I rebooted it this morning sorry I will wait a few days 

Gibbo1471
Scholar

Also 7 mb whilst trying to settle down is poor virgin much better 😪

Jayach
Elite 3

@Gibbo1471 wrote:

Also 7 mb whilst trying to settle down is poor virgin much better 😪

But much dearer, I assume that is why you swapped.

Also it doesn't vary by much during the "settling down". unless there is a fault.

Jayach
Elite 3

The Now router has notoriously poor Wi-Fi, you need to do the speedtest wired, also check your sync speed via the router. Broadband download and upload speeds explained (nowtv.com)

chilli2
Elite

There are a few things you can do to improve things, as youve probably guessed the now router doesnt have a good reputation with regards to wifi

First of all to see if its the wifi on the router, or the connection you should try a speediest while connected via Ethernet and not wifi

If thats OK, then  its the wifi, there are a few steps you can take here.

First of al in the router settings separate the bands the now router puts out two frequencies for wifi 2.4ghz and 5ghz . 5 is faster than 2.4 and less prone to congestion and/ or interference - however it doesnt go as far . 2.4 can be more congested is a fraction slower but goes further .

for most situations 2.4Ghz will do , so once you have separated the bands you can ensure that devices connect to the 2.4 signal .

Still no luck?

Next you should look at the router position- while its not always that easy as your limited to the location of the phone socket, mains plugs etc a slight move can make a difference, keep it away from things like TV's microwaves, fish tanks etc, if you can dont put it in or on a window ledge

Another thing that can have an effect is the building itself, old thick stone walls dont help wtih wifi signals, and likewise modern foil backed insulation doesnt help either

Once you have tried everything with the now router, and you are sure that its the wifi thats the issue then its time to start at looking to getting hold of your own kit .

one thing that i would avoid is wifi boosters ( put rubbish wifi in get rubbish wifi out)

So here are a few options:

Wireless access point/router this plugs into the now router via Ethernet and effectively provides a secondary wifi signal, the advantage here is that its location is only limited by the Ethernet cable you need to connect it up.

Homeplug set up with wifi built in, these are basically large plugs, one  plugs into the mains and has an ethernet socket that you plug into the router, the other you can plug in almost anywhere else typically if purchased in a pack the second unit has wifi built in and this then provides a wifi signal fro that location .

the only real downside with these things is that performance can be affected by how the house is wired

If your previous router provided a good signal and you still have it its also possible to use that as a wifi access point in conjunction with the now box.

However if you dont have it, and it still performed well then you could look at getting your own all in one router and put the now router back in its box ( dont check it away you may need it if theres a fault)

one thing to be aware of is that not all routers work with Now or Sky and likewise not all models from the same manufacturer may work it will need to have option 61 or MER log in available .

As far as i know some devices from TP link, D link, Asus work nd you will need to consult the relevant manufacturers to find out.

I use a TP link Archer VR2800 and i discovered how to set that up via the tp link dsl modems and routers supprt forum

Jayach
Elite 3

Great post @chilli2, that should be the standard reply to anyone with Wi-Fi problems on Now.

Although if splitting the bands I would suggest trying the 5Ghz first (if the device can use it) as that will have less interference and congestion.

Gibbo1471
Scholar

Hi all speed has calmed down now but if I do a speed test on 2.4ghz it's around 18mbps but if I select 5ghz it's nearer 70mbps the 2.4 has slightly better wifi signal strength that the 5ghz but obviously not as quick I was looking at getting an used sr203 router from sky on a auction site are they easy to set up on now many thanks all