cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor performance with 2G

Hi All,

Sorry it this has already been posted, but I couldn't find it. So this may help others..

I just switched from plusnet to now tv broadband, and noticed that on some devices (laptops) I had poor broadband performance, but phones were fine (all wifi and tested with openreach).

What I discovered is that, unlike every other router I have used, there is a significant difference between 2G and 5G wifi connections with the now tv router.  (2G approx 10mbps slower than 5g). This could just be an issue with my router, or a bug, but I would recommend either splitting the bands or turning off 2G if you don't need it if you are having issues.

If you are experiencing bandwidth issues it may also be down to this. If I had not be able to test on another device, I could easily have assumed that the broadband connection was faulty (or the service was rubbish compared to what I had previously).

The reason of the initially performance  differential was that although all devices were connecting to the same SSID the phones were selecting the 5G band and the laptops 2G

Hope this helps someone 🙂

0 REPLIES 0