cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer

Re: Poor WiFi Signal In Rooms Away From the Hub 2

New customer too. Having exactly the same issue. Signal 'good' next to router and in my daughters bedroom above but 'fair or marginal' in our bedroom or the room next the router.

Have done the same contacted the support desk, tried and tested the line and changed and tried all the different channels. 

I have been unwell and am outside the cooling off period. 

Purchased a wifi rnage extender for upstairs which had improved the signal strength in our bedroom. But that seems to have stopped working now.

I purchased a new router but was unable to connect to internet as NOWTV was not one of the automatic selections so had to go into 'other' which required lots of info that I had no idea of! Not technical savvy past the basics!

Contacted technical support and they would not give me the info and told me that the router I had purchased (£89) was not compatable with NOWTV broadband!  Luckily was able to get a refund.

On talking to a really helpful guy at PC World I have purchased a wifi travel router and a very long 10 metre ethernet cable so that we can place it far away from the phone, radiator etc and near the stairs. Will give this a go tomorrow after work. 

Fingers crossed but not holding my breath!!

May have to resign myself to poor wifi for the next 11 months 😞

0 Thanks
Highlighted

I'm a little side note. I have the same issue. But....i have a larger than average garden and if I walk to the end my Wi-Fi signal is full! Yet at my back door 5meters from the box...nothing! Anyone else experience this?

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

Could you explain this to someone who isn't so tech savi lol

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

Buy a WiFi signal booster. I got the netgear universal from Argos, about £15.  It fixed the problem of poor WiFi signal in far away corners of my house

0 Thanks
Highlighted

We have just joined NowTV WiFi from BT.

WORST mistake ever. This is horrendous WiFi, so frustrating, so poor signals, horrific. So unhappy with it. Paying for fastest service and it’s  a total joke. Router doesn’t cover rooms other than where router is. Very poor indeed. 

Highlighted
Mentor

Try using a WiFi signal booster. They cost under £20. The nowtv router I have covers all the rooms in my house even up to the 3rd floor but those which are directly above. The other rooms which are not parallel do get poor coverage but with the WiFi booster on the middle floor all rooms get full coverage with full speeds. 

I bought my WiFi booster from Argos for about £15. The netgear universal. 

Highlighted
Advocate

I recently switched to Now TV broadband and have been experiencing exactly the same problem as many others on this forum.   Instead of the fast, reliable wifi I have enjoyed from several previous providers throughout my house and garden, there was an incredibly restricted area within my house I could pick up a signal.  At times, when sitting only three metres away from the router in the next room, unless I was within direct line of sight of it, I could not connect my devices.   I phoned Now TV who were sympathetic and told me I had a 30 day cooling off period from broadband commencing and suggested some things I could try to resolve the problem.  They told me the router operates on different channels and would have been set to “auto” when it was sent to me.   They suggested I try some of the different channels and after a few false starts, I have now got a reliable signal from all areas of my house and garden again.  I would suggest others try the same tactic to see if it improves their wifi at no cost.  I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Advocate

I to am a new customer. I have a great signal downstairs but drops out a lot upstairs. Although it doesn't seem to affect my streaming of Netflix 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

YEP! Same here and its absolutely pathetic! I literally go into the kitchen a few metres away and I can nearly get signal! I had perfect Wifi all around the house all the way to the top of the house and now it struggles almost everywhere unless you are within literally a few metres of it. They've given the same response saying that 'they can't guarantee signal' however, why is the first ever time I've had this problem. They don't even want to try and fix it. Just giving £15 credit?? I can't buy a Wifi Booster with £15! Absolute Joke! 

I spent almost 2 hours on chat, which they told me to do something which meant disconnect the wifi then I was in the queue again, waiting another 30 minutes just to get someone on!

Its literally a pathetic service!

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Skoobz 

While the £15 quoted above is a little optimistic now, the recommended NetGear Universal WIFI extender is still only £19.99 from Argos:-

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1070754

There is a BT one there for the same price as well.

And Currys will do you one for £13.99, if you don’t mind an unknown name, plus more established makes:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/wifi-range-extenders/321_3423_32064_x...

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’
(As long as you started the thread, and haven’t already accepted an answer)
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’ (the thumbs-up icon)
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
0 Thanks