cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor/Non-existent signal in other nearby rooms from router

We’ve been a NowTv customer for about a month. We live in a small bungalow. Router in the sitting room. Cannot get or struggle to get a signal in a bedroom about 15ft away from where the router is. Frustrating to say the least. Was with BT before and have to say router was very good in comparison. Have done a speed test and of course it says their is no problem and all ok but the reality is different. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Did you do the speed test in the bedroom?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Did you do the speed test in the bedroom?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

We live in a small bungalow. The walls between the rooms are just plasterboard. We’ve moved over to NOWTV from BT for our broadband and telephone. The WiFi signal is shocking or non existent Literally just  feet away in other room from the WiFi hub. We have guests coming next week and in the room they will use about 15 ft from the WiFi hub we cannot get a signal all the time.Another example is I use Spotify and I have to log into it from the sitting room where the WiFi hub Is In order to pick Spotify up and use it in another room 10ft away. Sometimes even if I’ve logged on to Spotify but go into another room 10ft away the signal will cut out and can’t connect. How do I get in touch with NOWTV to sort it out. It’s no use attempting a WiFi speed:signal test in another room because I can’t pick the signal up very often. Extremely frustrated- and more so that I can’t even find out how to get in touch with NOWTV from their website. Thanks 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Before contacting the NowTV Broadband Team see if splitting up the wifi frequency band on your Hub 2 Router makes any difference with the Hub 2 performance.

Start by testing your devices on the 2.4 ghz band.

Here's the instructions.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

My Account/Manage account/Account Summary (at the top, with the liquorice allsort beside it)/Broadband & Calls

The number you want is the same one as shown there for Moving House.

And of course you need to run a Speedtest in the bedroom - ‘would not run’ is as valid as 25Mbps. Don’t let them sucker you into testing the broadband hard by the router - of course it will be good there, and anyway it is range, not speed you are complaining about.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @schnapps  @RoyB 

Hi H

Although you are currently looking for a solution to your problem from Now TV, may I suggest the following which maybe too soon at the moment but is something you may want to bear in mind.

When I had a similar problem to the one you're wrestling with I bought this TP-Link TL-WA850RE Wi-Fi Range Extender from Amazon.  

TP-Link TL-WA850RE Wi-Fi Range Extender.jpg

Here's the URL:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA850RE-Universal-Extender-Broadband-Ethernet/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3FBCG96XE6Y8G&dchild=1&keywords=wi-fi+extender+booster&qid=1598195154&sprefix=Wi-fi+exten%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-3

Hope this helps

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy @Anonymous User @schnapps 

As a possible admission that their supplied router is a pile of bean curd, I understand that NowTV Broadband will make a contribution towards the cost of such devices for customers who complain of poor range.

This being much cheaper than fixing the problem at source by supplying a better router.

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User  @schnapps 

Hi Roy

You said, "...NowTV Broadband will make a contribution towards the cost...".  Now that's interesting, any idea of the percentage they're willing to contribute towards the cost of a wi-fi range extender?

That, I guess, is probably open to negotiation.

Negotiating Emoji's.jpg

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy 

I think somebody said they were offered £15, but don’t quote me. It’s on the Community somewhere.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

had a similar experience with my signal strength in nearby rooms