cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ping, and download

Not sure if this is an outage problem as usually everything is all okay.

But I have just tried to play a game online which prompted me to run a ping test in both cmd, and online. Ping usually is great at around 20ms, however, it is sitting at 100+ms currently. With a download of 10Mbps, usually 40+. When using the NOW test it says everything is all fine with the line, and that speed to property is 49Mbps which is just isn't,

Anyone have any advice with who to contact if this persists? Or any fixes? Tried the obvious fixes

24 REPLIES 24
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

As this is a broadband issue, you can contact Now Broadband support on the telephone number they gave you for this when you signed up, to get this looked at.

If you can’t remember, or find, the number,  then sorry I can’t just post it, lest streaming members be tempted to try to use it, and thus block it up, but see here for a posting with a link that will lead you to the phone number you can call them on.

Speed to the property is effectively the speed that Now have set your line to, a speed you never actually quite get, due to various overheads, but 40 should be achievable of that 49.

However, I use fast.com for a more accurate reflection of actual upload, download and latency (ping) numbers, which it measures both loaded and unloaded.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

I can't tell you the number, but I can tell you where to find it.

How to make a complaint (nowtv.com)

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Hey, nobody said that Now’s attitude to us publishing the number makes sense!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

Oh that's new. When you reply to a post, it now attaches it to the post. Should stop the confusion when you don't know who replies are aimed at.

Edit: Strange this one didn't do it. I wonder what was different about my previous reply?

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach wrote:

Oh that's new. When you reply to a post, it now attaches it to the post. Should stop the confusion when you don't know who replies are aimed at.

Edit: Strange this one didn't do it. I wonder what was different about my previous reply?

@Jayach 

Maybe you just happened to post straight after the one you were referring to? Or maybe this is the difference between Reply, which now attaches to the posting you are replying to, and Post Reply, which goes last in the thread, as before.

Certainly, the only choice I apparently get is to see the postings in the thread Oldest to Newest, or Newest to Oldest.

I use @{name} to indicate who I am replying to, as above; if I needed to indicate exactly which posting, I quoted it. But perhaps now I don’t need to, I just ensure I use Reply, not Post Reply.

The rules seem to have changed a little here, though; previously I just pressed Reply on the posting, the only ‘Reply’ that was being offered, turned my iPad to landscape, hit the three dots on the end of the Options and picked up the option.

Now, I have to choose to Reply to the specific posting, or I can use the ‘Post Reply’ at the very bottom to reply to the OP (or at least it quotes the original posting, if I use quoting there). And I think you used Reply in one case, and Post Reply in the other.

And I still have to turn my iPad to Portrait to get the quote option, but now I see it there, and don’t have to hit the three dots.

How very Now, though, to change how the Community appears and how it works without even a single word of announcement. Let alone documenting the changes made, and leaving us to scrabble about trying to figure them out.

Or is there such a posting, and I missed it?

NB: I shall now live in fear and trembling of someone posting a Reply to something buried on Page 18 of a 100-page thread. I hope the new presentation will make such a posting easy to find….

RoyB
Legend

Well, the problem of 100-page threads has been done away with by the simple expedient of doing away with pages. I’m not sure I approve of that…

But I did try burying a post, and the notification under Community Activity did seem to point directly to it,

But now it just points to the first posting, so maybe the apparently successful result before was just an artefact 

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach  @gavs82008 @schnapps 

Oh, this is b-a-a-d.

I just ‘buried’ a post by replying to a randomly chosen posting in ‘Update Now TV app for apple TV’ (from an Anonymous User, so as not to disturb anybody with a notification), and it has gone into Community Activity with today’s date; but choosing that link does not go to that posting (it seems to go to first unread, according to the URL).

Anticipating trouble, I put a unique string in my posting (Charlie horse four, no spaces); and while a Search on this finds it and gets me back to my posting, this would normally be an unusual thing to do, and without it, the posting is effectively lost.

So you are in needle in a haystack country, and without a magnet.

Allowing replies to replies, rather than the previous setup of just replies to threads, has multiple implications for indexing and searching, and these don’t seem to have been taken into account 😢

Perhaps some kind three-star General would like to try this, and if valid, push these difficulties up the tree?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach  @gavs82008 @schnapps 

Oh, this is b-a-a-d.

I just ‘buried’ a post by replying to a randomly chosen posting in ‘Update Now TV app for apple TV’ (from an Anonymous User, so as not to disturb anybody with a notification), and it has gone into Community Activity with today’s date; but choosing that link does not go to that posting (it seems to go to first unread, according to the URL).

Anticipating trouble, I put a unique string in my posting (Charlie horse four, no spaces); and while a Search on this finds it and gets me back to my posting, this would normally be an unusual thing to do, and without it, the posting is effectively lost.

So you are in needle in a haystack country, and without a magnet.

Allowing replies to replies, rather than the previous setup of just replies to threads, has multiple implications for indexing and searching, and these don’t seem to have been taken into account 😢

Perhaps some kind three-star General would like to try this, and if valid, push these difficulties up the tree?

Hi @RoyB 

Done, I have passed your feedback on to the NOW Community Manager.

RoyB
Legend

@schnapps 

Thank you, kind sir

As a further issue, I just tried sorting that long, long Apple thread Newest to Oldest.

While that did change it, I thought at first it hadn’t worked as I could still see what were newer dates behind older ones.

But it looks as if the software has been noting if our Replies were ‘Reply’ replies or ‘Post Reply’ replies all along, and has now arranged them accordingly.

The net result is that ‘Newest to Oldest’ is effectively unusable, using what on Newsgroups would be a Threaded structure, but showing it as a List.