cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Picture size

I have just downloaded the now t  app thru BT.

I have had a look at some of the films ....I have a sony 55in tv but alot of the films are squashed as in I'm losing about 7in from the top and bottom...and these are on the newest films recently added...on the disney films I just viewed one film and it was full screen.

My settings are correct I think..and I rang sony to confirm I'm on the correct tv settings..

Was wondering if anyone else have this problem when watching films..I havnt tried entertainment yet...I'm just confused and not happy that some films are squashed.

Any feedback would be appreciated 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Do you mean that the movies have top and bottom black letterbox bars ?

It so the majority of movies are filmed in 21:9 letter box aspect ratio rather than 16.9 full screen when watching on a modern day television.

Where most modern TV shows are shot in 16.9 full screen widescreen.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what-is-the-aspect-ratio-4-3-16-9-21-9 

If i have misunderstood your post then ignore my reply.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Here's a list gathered by IMDb of the movies shot on a 21:9 aspect ratio which would show top and bottom letterbox black bars on a 16:9 widescreen television.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls073624685/?sort=release_date,desc&st_dt=&mode=detail&page=1 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
HiThanks for the reply...you did understand me...🙂🙂so there is nothing I can do...I've gone thru a few other films and get full picture...but on the new ones like "JUDY" It has the letterbox view...so frustrating!!!
Regards David
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Judy is a 21:9 letter box movie.

I actually prefer movies shown in letter box aspect ratio where to me it's more cinematic.

See if there is an aspect ratio or zoom button on your Sony remote controller to expand the on screen picture, but you will find using zoom will make the picture look unnatural and out of portion.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks again....well if it comes to having no choice I can live with that I suppose..just thought there was something I was missing on my settings..tried the zoom but deff looks better with the letterbox....
Regards dave