cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Phone line analogue or digital

I recently took out now broadband to fix a problem Vodafone caused.  Basically I originally had nowtv but I wanted the FFTP 1gbps which came with VOIP but I had no intention of using it due to data concerns and the issue the technology has during power cuts.  I Intended to keep the current analogue copper line for my now broadband and home phone and use the other fibre for my own use such as gaming.  When openreach came out to install the fttp they completely cut my copper line so I ring [voucher code removed] back up to have a new copperline re installed.  I come home today to find the phone works but no dial tone?

I have noticed there’s a black box at the top of my house one one end connects to the cooper left from the previous line and one end to the new line that’s attached to the telephone pole. I have a suspicion that this black box is a digital to analogue converter so it’s still voip.  If this is the case will I still have the issue of the line going down during a power cut and does this mean all my phone call data with be converted to data packets which would be processed under a different set of rules as voip would be classed as broadband data not telecommunications data which was only handled my openreach .  This would mean that all phone calls are kept for 6 months under uk data retention act as it’s now broadband data which can be accessed by anyone with a bit of authority and no warrant.  I like my privacy which is why I use a VPN for everything having phone call data come under this rule doesn’t feel very private to me.

4 REPLIES 4
Jayach
Elite 3

Not sure I understand your post.

Now only use FTTC and the telephone is (currently) POTS/PTSN.

Vodafone use both, PSTN on FTTC and VoIP on FTTP.

Come 2025 everything will be VoIP.

Where's the beef?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The cabling the openreach guy has uses doesnt look like regular twisted pair copper line.  And there is no humm when I pick up the phone. If I were to put my ear to the phone before dialling I can’t hear anything.  Is there anything they can do that would allow them to put a fibre cable from the telegraph pole and then convert the signal to the remaining stretch of copper that goes from the top of my roof to the phone box inside my house?

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

The cabling the openreach guy has uses doesnt look like regular twisted pair copper line.  And there is no humm when I pick up the phone. If I were to put my ear to the phone before dialling I can’t hear anything.  Is there anything they can do that would allow them to put a fibre cable from the telegraph pole and then convert the signal to the remaining stretch of copper that goes from the top of my roof to the phone box inside my house?

Still confused. If the telephone line is on Now, it will be copper all the way back to the exchange.

If someone has a requirement to keep the PSTN line (for instance careline), they (Openreach) should install a hybrid cable with both copper and fibre. However, if you are in a "stop sell" area, no new copper lines will be installed/connected. 

The UK’s PSTN network will switch off in 2025 | BT Business

If you have a copper/PSTN line and it doesn't have a dial tone, it is faulty.

Jayach
Elite 3

Just so I can get my head around this. Do you have FTTP with Vodafone and FTTC with Now?

Edit: As far as I know. neither Vodafone nor Now will supply a phone line only.