cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

PS4 NowTV App (Sky Sports) buffering on Virgin Media was fine on Vodafone

Hi,

Up until Thurs last week I was a Vodafone fixed line home broadband customer for many years. My PS4 is wired in via ethernet and I'd used Now TV with Sky Sports for literally years without any problems in that configuration i.e. no buffering, no drop outs.

On Thursday I moved to Virgin Media for my broadband. Nothing else changed.

Virgin seems to work absolutely fine for Prime, Netflix, YouTube etc - no buffering no dropping out on the PS4 (or indeed on any other devices).

I am using the Virgin Super Hub 3 in modem mode, with my own router.

However immediately I noticed after moving to Virgin that Now TV Sky sports buffers on the PS4 app - sometimes it buffers for a short period and then recovers for a prolonged period (i.e. no interruptions). Sometimes it drops out with a PL-0 error message.

I have not noticed NowTV sky sports dropping out on my ROKU, but to be fair I don't use it much on that TV/platform so I've probably only used it once. I will check that but it would seem very odd that it was the PS4 app that only suffered from the problem.

I am aware of other posts in this forum seemingly with similar issues but it doesn't seem to have come to a solution.

What is the general consensus - is this a NowTV problem or a Virgin Media problem? I am more inclined to believe it is a NowTV platform - perhaps the content servers are faulty or over loaded, or the network peering between NowTV and Virgin is a bottleneck (in which case they are probably arguing over who pays to upgrade the bandwidth).

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Haven't used NOW on my PS4 in a while. So I cannot really comment.

Might sound daft, have you tried to delete the app on the PS4 and reinstalling it? 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes did that, no joy, checked all the other standard guidance to resolve, no joy

I shouldn't need to reinstall the app though. The move from Vodafone to Virgin and the problem manifesting itself immediately can't be a co-incidence. I am pretty technically capable as I work in telecoms/IT so I am struggling to see why a re-install of the app should make any difference.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I would be tempted to try the Google DNS servers on your PS4 to see if there is any improvement when watching NOW.

Use your internet search engine browser to get instructions on how to do it on the PS4.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I am already using the Cisco OpenDNS Family Shield servers

https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/#familyshield

I could try using Google's or indeed just using the standard Virgin DNS to see if that makes any difference, but it shouldn't when everything else works absolutely fine.

Unless the Now TV video stream constantly needs to do DNS lookups (I can't imagine why) and for some reason every other streaming platform doesn't, I don't get why the DNS servers would make any difference.

thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried using Google DNS, that didn't work either